Yew bow for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry for the OT and polluting a sales thread.

Make yourself a green stick bow. The bow should be the same length and thickness at the grip as the one you are buying. String it up with some strong twine. Notch and Mark up a garden cane with inch marks, draw the cane back like an arrow. Measure off the length to the front of the bow to the back of the arrow.

This will give you a very approximate guide. It will be wrong.

Overdrawing a bow past its rating can stress it causing it to fail. It also adds to the poundage of the bow. Better to under draw as your draw length may increase with practice as you increase in strength and your stance improves.

My draw length changes a bit per bow and per draw weight. Thanks for helping Robbie out MountainM
Robbie its a very hard thing just to pick a draw length without you developing your own form and anchor points first mate and all of these are very personal things. You may pick-up a very light bow and draw it half a dozen times and your DL will be say 28 inches. You then add some weight and strengthen up the "archery only" muscles and your DL will shrink. You may choose a different anchor point such as your corner of your mouth to your cheek, this add another inch.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Wonderful looking work. I have a take down handle I was thinking you may be able to use for a bow I would like you to make for me................

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wonderful looking work. I have a take down handle I was thinking you may be able to use for a bow I would like you to make for me................

That would be something new, let me know the dimensions of the collar ;) Have a think about design and woods and we can have a play.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Congrats on the sale of that lovely looking bow. I make yew bows for fun but have only had the oppertunity of making one from a stave that had no knots... a rarity I know. It turned out great, but unfortunately it snapped (long story) and all my other yew logs are typical twisted knotty english and was wondering how do you preserve your sanity working the knots with a file and avoiding cutting through them when you are roughing out the D-profile shape with the stave?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Congrats on the sale of that lovely looking bow. I make yew bows for fun but have only had the oppertunity of making one from a stave that had no knots... a rarity I know. It turned out great, but unfortunately it snapped (long story) and all my other yew logs are typical twisted knotty english and was wondering how do you preserve your sanity working the knots with a file and avoiding cutting through them when you are roughing out the D-profile shape with the stave?

A good variety of files and rasps helps. What also helps is working on more than one stave at a time. This gives you the opportunity to walk away and do something else.
Saying that I have ruined more than my fare share of good staves with silly mistakes usually accompanied by more speed and less haste.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Collected the bow today - it's a stunner and shoots really well.

Absolute pleasure to meet up with Dwardo - bow talk...what else :eek:

Thanks my friend,

kawasemi

Pleasure mate, hope you both live happily ever after. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE