Yew Berries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Made a silly mistake last week whilst out on the forage at a big estate near Ayr, I ate some yew berries. We had a good day foraging 8lb plums,6 bags of apples and 4lb sep mushrooms.
Can,t remember which programme we were watching a few days ago but the tv presenter described the yew berry as poisonous.
So I checked up this site http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/wfsberries.htm, well bu993r me.
Fortunately I never eat the seeds and the jelly outside was quite nice at the time,never again.

phil

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Lucky escape there mate. I've done a bit of reading about yew berries in the last week since Shewie and I were looking at them on our Loch Lomond trip, they can be nasty wee things.

great link you posted there, thanks for that.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Anybody tried making fruit leather from them?
There's something about their squidgie sweetness that has me thinking it might turn out nice.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Anybody tried making fruit leather from them?
There's something about their squidgie sweetness that has me thinking it might turn out nice.

Probably not a great idea to concentrate any small amounts of Taxine which may be in the juice like this. Remember there is still no specific antidote for Taxine poisoning.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
does any know if the processing required for a friut leather would destroy the stuff that gives me little upset tum when i eat them, I love em but like i say I get a very mild reation in the form of loosness in my passings(how polite am I) for the day after I munch,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are recipes on line for yew berry tarts, so they can be cooked successfully.
I don't think of them as mucousy, more like a kind of soft jelly. Like jelly jam :D
They're brilliant when it's freezing though and they're firmer.

cheers,
M

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Had some for the first time a couple of weeks ago.Theres a very nice tree growing in the grounds of the slate museum in Llanberris.They have to be the tastiest berries I've ever tried.:)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The seeds are incredibly poisonous. I heard a story of a girl who was eating yew berries and spitting out the seeds but one seed caught against a tooth with a crack in it and she was in a coma for days. I believe one seed will kill you

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE