Yet another Teddy Tour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
15,000 + members but another Teddy Tours, is the one yesterday before this. I hope I'm not posting too much ?
Following on from post #71 and post #79 in http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42756&page=3
I had a pm from Tom
Hi Danny
just had a most dissapointing session dipping this years rushes. Even on a single dip the things are breaking under their own weight. Thankfully I still have plenty from last year which were nice and thick compared to these. I hope you had more joy.
So I set off for the Dove stones which is less than 30 minutes from home where too late in the season last year I'd seen some large ones link with map and grid ref.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46902
looking back down Thursden valley Today
01downthursdenvalley.jpg

looking over Robin wood house to where I'm going
02torobinhoodhouse.jpg

left the van at the end of the oil prospecting track and walked along it with views of Cludders Slack (great name) to my right
03cluddersslack.jpg

came upon the rushes from last year but although it was rather boggy, (check the stick no effort to push in and no bottom), they were not as big as I remembered them
04swamp.jpg

Teddy used some hand crafted Damascus steel Bushcraft scissors to cut a clump (O.K. £1.25 for three pair in home bargains) with the Dove stone at the left hand end of the skyline rocks
05harvest.jpg

On the way back stopped to photograph and share "Zen and the art of dry stone walling" at Coldwell reservoir look to the end of the wall over the road
06teddywall.jpg

miles of cut stone all the way around the reservoir
07wall.jpg

courses remain level
08wall.jpg

I think this puts the Tate modern and Turner art prizes to shame
09wall.jpg

back home and lit the garden chimera and opened a Cider to process the rushes
bullrushcut.jpg

before filling with water and putting on a grid and weight to soak for a week
bullrushsoaking.jpg

Just thought I'd share cheers all Danny

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
left the van at the end of the oil prospecting track and walked along it with views of Cludders Slack (great name) to my right

Love the name. I'm planning a round of the Radnor Forest which will include Water-Break-Its-Neck, Three Riggles, Cowlod, Whimble, Black Mixen and - my favourite - The Smatcher. All in one stupendous day.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Love the name. I'm planning a round of the Radnor Forest which will include Water-Break-Its-Neck, Three Riggles, Cowlod, Whimble, Black Mixen and - my favourite - The Smatcher. All in one stupendous day.
Hi Bivouac I had a look on here :- http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=2798081
looks a stunning place but talking of names, these 4 churches sound a mouthful :-
The churches, at Llanfihangel Cefnllys, Llanfihangel Rhydieithon, Llanfihangel Nant Melan and Llanfihangel Cascob
cheers Danny

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
I hope I'm not posting too much ?

Certainly not!

You live in such a beautiful part of the country and your pictures are wonderful - it's always a treat to see Teddy's bimbles. His elevating skills in picture 6 made me chuckle - yogi bear!

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
What cider is that you've got there?
Hi Bushwhacker they've just opened a new Sainsburys at Colne and having a look round spotted this at 1/2 price as a loss leader I presume ? It's a Cuvee prestige produced in France for Sainsburys with pure juice, low temperature, slow fermented Brittany apples but it's only 4% so pop really. There isn't a good choice of Ciders locally and we usually wait till were at B-Reds favorite store Booths where there's an ever changing good selection last visit saw us try Black Rat and Green Goblin in the car park
Boothsfryup.jpg

26758.jpg
074179.jpg

We quite often buy the 2 liter bottles of Westons it's not bad and the one eared 1/2 demi-john bottles are a bonus as we use them for our brewed products
010564.jpg

Hic - cheers :beerchug: hic Danny

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
talking of names, these 4 churches sound a mouthful :-
The churches, at Llanfihangel Cefnllys, Llanfihangel Rhydieithon, Llanfihangel Nant Melan and Llanfihangel Cascob

'LLanfihangel' is quite common and means 'Church of St Michael' i believe. I used to live in Wales and once memorised
"Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch" which i now perform as a party trick. A village close to where i lived was called 'Bwlchgwyn' which is difficult for an ex-pat Englishman to pronounce as it contains no vowels and always seems to sound as if one is vomiting. Fortunately, in more recent times i have resided only a few miles from Westons cider mill. I can recommend their 'Stoford Press' cider which is available locally on draught and the local supermarkets stock it bottled. I once tried a couple of pints of 'Black Rat' on draught in a pub in Gloucester not so long ago which reminded me of the quote by Dean Martin - "You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."

Edit:

I looked up Black Rat's website who reckon that it is 4.6% ABV on draught. Yeah. Right. Listen...it's bright orange. That should tell you something.

Another edit:

Ah. The 9 gallon keg (which is called in the trade a 'firkin'. I kid you not) is 6% ABV. Yes, that is a little more accurate.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE