Yeay! Charcloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
OK, I made my first charcloth today and it lights in a flash with my Whittler Kev steel :D...

I have a little tin with a hole in it and I stuck it on the gas ring with some cloth in it until I thought it was cooked - I then covered the hole up with a 5p piece. To be honest I don't know what the hell I am doing, so I would be grateful if someone could explain the principles :eek::confused::eek:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
lol.
Sounds like you did ok anyway.

I did my first recently at the moot. I had a metal tin of "TexMex" seasoning I found in Lidl for a quid or so which I bought.....for the seasoning.
I then realised that the tin would be perfect for doing some charcloth esecially as my wife was making me throw out three perfectly good pairs of jeans that day.

I punched a hole in the top with a nail and crammed in cut squares of my jeans. Popped it into the coals of the camp fire and let it smoke away for a while. The gases escaping from the hole evetually lit and burned and when the flames died to nothing I turned the tin over for another 10 mins and then took it out.
When it cooled, Viola! Perfect charcloth!

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I use two Tesco cans. I fill a baked bean tin with my old jeans material and then slide a larger Sweetcorn tin over the top as a loose "lid".
The fumes, what have you, lift the lid up so they can escape and when they stop the lid settles again so oxygen can't get back in.
Nicked the idea from Dave Canterbury from the Dual Survival show and the YouTube Wilderness Outfitters (Blast thats made you lose two days watching all his vid's - most worth watching...all if you like gun reviews/mods) http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters/videos

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the principle of the char cloth is to turn it into charcoal of sorts....

wood is what turns into charcoal for your bbq, but its the method of how it is heated that make the difference, it needs to be heated with out oxygen (or air) to fore the more pure carbon fuel.

char cloth is the same thing but with cloth instead of wood, the burning, or rather heating process, removes all the moisture rubbish and crud in the cloth/wood, leaving the pure carbonised product you want for your flint and steal....:):):):)

the gas is the rubbish being removed, this gas when hot enough and with a form of ignition will light which is no problem, and on a massive scale can be used as a fuel to self burn/heat the wood for charcoal making....:):):):)

hope this helps you understand what your doing a little better....;)

regards.

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
nay probs dude, keep up the good work with the fire craft, it takes ages at times to learn new thing but its worth it in the end....;)

regards.

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i was a beginner once and people helping made all the difference, so i help when i can....:):):)

i just mastered the hand drill which has taken months, lots of time pain from blisters and frustration, but worth every little bit now i can do the hand drill...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE