Year planner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I couldn't sleep last night. Kept getting this idea of making a year planner for bushcraft :D
A nice big glossy one with all of the years bushcraft chores in the proper dates like:
Now is the time to harvest nuts, berries
Collect birch bark
nettles ( or whatever plant ) now in season
Time to hunt
etc etc
It realy got me thinking ( which is annoying when you are trying to sleep :D ) , Does anyone know of such a comprehenive list of perhaps weekly chores? or maybe we could compile one :D .
Just imagine a nice big A2 year planner full of information or a flip chart callender with beautifull photographs and a comprehensive list of things to do for that month.
I would definately pay for one :D :)
Hope this starts the old cogs turning :)

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Bilko,

What a great idea.

Whilst out in the woods certain activities are obvious, chestnuts on the floor etc and that event will always happen within a 4-6 weeks period evry year depending on summer weather etc.

But what would make the planner so useful is that events that I am either not aware of or as sometimes happens I go and and have missed the best crop.

again a great idea.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
OOH!, Realy excited :) :) :)
I mean, what a great help to all novices and old hands alike!
Idealy i am talking about quite an extensive list though not your average broad sweeping gimmick type of thing but more a proper bushmans diary. the sort a person could live by/with.
unfortunately i know of no such list but if the mods were interested ;) i'm sure we could come up with a month by month plan of things your bushman would need to know.
now then, where to start researching such a compilation? :confused:
Obviously your more every day things could be taken from normal bushcraft books but the realy usefull and missable stuff...Well i don't realy know.
Maybe a good idea would be to break the list down initialy into different groups.
Food, medicinal, clothing, tools, building material etc etc
Please please please :D , i would love such a calender and/or year planner.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
:D Great idea mate!

RM does a book in this way: divided in the 4 seasons.

Would be great: with all sorts of lovely pictures in it, maybe some info / tips if it comes to plant identification ... and maybe in some sort of portable form. Something like halve the size of an A4 (don't know the size ... A5 or A3 ... :confused: ), with some rings on the back / spine so you can flip the pages (waterproofed) and a hang thing, so you can also hang it as a calendar (can make a piccie of a very vey cool Bear Paddington calendar if someone wants too).

Maybe divided in 52 weeks, rather than 12 months or 4 seasons (copywright ... you'll never know when some Woodlore lawyer turns on the horizon ;)) - bonus: more space for info / activities :D

Just a quick and wild thought - bit in a hurry at the moment, so if anyone wants me to clearify, please let me know ;)

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Great idea!!
However you will find a difference of a couple of weeks from the north to the south.
As a head gardener keeping a works diary is an essential task for me.
I have diaries going back 10 years so I can look back over them and estimate within a couple of days when things are going to flower or when to prune etc.

My point being it is easier to copile a diary as you go rather trying to think in advance.(although key pionts can be estimated at first)
In theory a good practical working diary should take you at least a year and then many more for fine tuning

I look forward to seeing this idea progress, good luck with it mate

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Ahjno said:
:D Great idea mate!

RM does a book in this way: divided in the 4 seasons.

Maybe divided in 52 weeks, rather than 12 months or 4 seasons (copywright ... you'll never know when some Woodlore lawyer turns on the horizon ;)) - bonus: more space for info / activities :D

I don't think even Mr Mears can copyright the seasons. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE