Y is for ..... ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve just been watching the A-Z of Bushcraft clips again and I see they`re struggling for a Y episode. They`ve asked for any suggestions.

http://www.undercurrents.org/bushcraft/index.php

I can`t really think of much myself apart from Yew, for carving/bowmaking etc and the fact that the whole tree is poisonous could make it hard to string out for 10 minutes.

There`s also Yucca, for cordage but it`s not exactly common in this country.

Rich

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I think yew would be quite a good one, not only can it be used for bowmaking, the berries are edible(so I have recently discovered), the roots can be used for rope, leaves can be used for poisening enemys etc. etc.

I cant think of anything better.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Don't forget that dried Yucca stalks make wonderfull bow drill and hand drill shafts!

My first true experience with a bow drill used a Yucca stalk for the drill shaft - and my first coals. And it's worked better than most of the other local materials I have tried so far.

So there's your Y.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yarrow? Medicinal uses, teas and tisanes. Compresses and so on. Got to be worth a go. I haven't checked up on th A-Z's lately, are there lots more out?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Don't forget that dried Yucca stalks make wonderfull bow drill and hand drill shafts!

My first true experience with a bow drill used a Yucca stalk for the drill shaft - and my first coals. And it's worked better than most of the other local materials I have tried so far.

So there's your Y.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

I did mention Yucca Mikey but the A-Zs are all based on the UK enviroment so it wouldn`t really work with the rest of the series.

My mum`s got a huge Yucca in her conservatory come to think of it.

Rich

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I haven't seen all of them but is there one for "You" - mental preparations, physical limitations and abilities, attitude......
I migth be barking up a wrong tree but......

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yerba Sante:

The Spanish used to boil the root to make a tea for coughs, colds, sore throats, mucus, stomach-aches, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Nice!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've got one, although it would be a short film. They could use it as the very last film and call it Y is for You'd like to come on a Dryad Bushcraft Course? they could run a competition on the whole range of videos and the winner gets a free course with Dryad Bushcraft and gets to try some of the things shown in the videos. Sound good?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It could be
- Year - looking at the outdoor year
- yeast - wild yeast and using it for brewing and baking (i'm busy making pizza base tonight with real yeast:D )
- Yurt (mongolian tent/house)
-

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
How about "Y is for You!"

I seldom see anything on the correct approach to personal hygiene, useful plants, cleansing by smudge fire, how to correctly dig a latrine/ dispose of waste, composting toilets (long stay), alternatives to toothpaste (baking soda for instance) etc.

Just a thought...

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
The way I'm reading that, you've got a bit of a thing for Andrew with his boyish good looks and handsome welsh accent!

:D

Erm.. not at all *innocent*

Typical girl :rolleyes:
Well can you blame me? I mean LOOK AT HIM!!

CONGRATULATIONS on the 100th post btw :p
Well thank you very much! A 100th post well spent I feel :rolleyes:

PS - the way I'm reading your post Spam, it sounds like YOU'VE got a thing for Andrew Price ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE