Wye Valley Walk (very pic heavy of course)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
This is my 1000th post! :red: :cool:

Having some days off booked, I did a solo walking trip along the Wye Valley Walk last week.

It started with a 6 hour bus journey up to Rhayader (90mins by car).

The Wye at Rhayader (which means waterfall, but the falls that it is named after are no longer there)

Saw 6 Red Kites within the first hour (and I was not heading towards the feeding station).

5813010748_a8a70dcc78_z.jpg

After a climb I had my first good view of the valley.
5813011084_373e4b90f0_z.jpg

In the lanes I encountered a hedge that was webbed like this for about 20 feet or so. Anyone know what it is?
5812444737_75cb548984_z.jpg

A light meal of pasta, salami, and foraged greens (sorrel, cleavers and young hogweed)
5812445129_e219f4b1f0_z.jpg

I ended up with a stealth camp in some riverside woodland. The tarp was erected more as a screen to hide me from passers by - it didn't cover the bivi bag, but the night was dry.
5812445479_c94ace2aef_z.jpg

I got badly midged that night (I still look like a join-the-dots) but this was the view from where I was, so it wasn't too unpleasant. Seeing a goosander with 9 large chicks the next morning helped too.
5812445949_708b55fba6_z.jpg

Day 2, as always on a walking trip, was hard work, and the weather was at its worst for the trip, which is to say it was grey, overcast and windy, but it didn't rain. Not much good for photographs though. I camped at the top of the steepest climb on the walk, in a field corner. I was completely exhausted, but happy. This shot doesn't show the considerable wind, but my 'storm set-up' with my little tarp is very effective.
5812446325_de98e6402a_z.jpg

I slept well, again, and the next morning took a kit shot whilst packing up. I'm an untidy camper.
5813013382_4590cbd868_z.jpg

Naturally there were loads of good riverside views, but this one is probably the best of them.
5812447081_26446c5e00_z.jpg

One of my favourite things about the walk - The Llanstephan suspension bridge.
5812447429_54b9b7cab8_z.jpg

The official plate. The bridge is one of the very few remaining wooden-slatted suspension bridges in Wales.
5812447747_8ed414da94_z.jpg

Yes, it's a road bridge, and no-one takes a blind bit of notice of the speed limit. The noise as cars pass over it is incredible. It's positively scary if you are in the car because the planks move and the bridge sways. I could make it sway as a pedestrian!
5813014862_fb0b2af9a0_z.jpg

Camped up at an official site for the third night, with some bacon from the post office shop and some field mushrooms from a roadside verge. There is no situation that can't be improved by a bacon and mushroom sandwich.
5812448475_c1e3c99b2d_z.jpg

Sunset view of the Black mountains from the campsite. The hill in the centre goes by the local name of "Lord Hereford's Knob"
5813015548_9ee9fccb49_z.jpg

My set-up, using my cape as an extra side for privacy, and a stick for more room.
5812449303_9642e56284_z.jpg

On the last day, climbing out of the Wye valley. If you look closely the river is just visible.
5813016438_83836afe3f_z.jpg

Facing the other way, a view down towards Bronllys village, where I had arranged to meet my wife for lunch, so she could take me home.
5813016784_2dbbfded72_z.jpg

The photos don't do justice to a fabulous trip. It was great to get away for a few days and just chill. A recommended trip, ladies and gents. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
For Godsake man, any entomological questions we expect answered by you, I class you as our invertebrate expert. Caterpillars did that.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For Godsake man, any entomological questions we expect answered by you, I class you as our invertebrate expert. Caterpillars did that.

Well, duh, yes, I know that much. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more specific. I could make some informed guesses, but I didn't find any caterpillars there to identify. I was hoping someone would recognise it and save me the trouble.

(Oops, sounded a bit condescending then. Sorry).

I know my spiders but insects don't have enough legs for me, and I'm especially weak on 'things with wings'. If I had to guess I'd say it was something like Brown tail moth, which my book says lives communally on hedgerows, but I'm not entirely convinced.

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
A nice little break, well documented too!
How was the campsite when you started cooking with a woodburner? I know you had a heatproom mat anyway.
How many miles did you walk?

Cheers for sharing!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A nice little break, well documented too!
How was the campsite when you started cooking with a woodburner? I know you had a heatproom mat anyway.
How many miles did you walk?

Cheers for sharing!

I cleared the woodburner before use, and they said "just don't burn the grass". I discovered afterwards that enough heat from the Bushbuddy did get through the mat top kill a small circle of grass, but I 'forgot' to mention that before I left.

The bit of the walk that I did is 40 miles or so, maybe a bit more. I haven't actually worked it out. I was strolling rather than marching, and as my wife had arranged to pick me up at the end, I didn't have a destination and could just meander if I felt like it.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Very nice, I have been to the wye valley quite a lot as I have a lot of family in nearby Monmouth so have often been for some very lovely walks up that way.

The river is particularly good for barbel....

Thanks for sharing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE