WS maple woodlore replacement - first impressions...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Well, just taken delivery of my replacement WS maple handled Woodlore knife. For those who are not aware, at least some of the first batch were fitted with handle slabs that weren't adequately sealed. They absorbed moisture/water swelled and shrunk. At one point, the slabs on mine lifted off the tang.

Woodlore were informed, who in turn looked at the issues with Wilkinson Sword. WS then ran a series of their own tests and confirmed that it may be an issue on some of the first batch. Out of good will, they have replaced ALL this first batch, while not asking for the original to be returned, until the owners get their new ones. Excellent customer service - well done WS.

My first impressions, the knife came via recorded delivery from Wilkinson Sword directly, not via Woodlore - the box included a hand written compliment slip and a letter from the WS marketing manager, apologising for the inconvenience and offering instructions for the return of the original. The knife was wrapped in thick paper and tape; bubble wrapped and boxed - no sheath. No surprise there, as they are only replacing the knife, not the sheath - there was nothing wrong with that. The knife comes with a postage paid jiffy bag for the return of the original, plus a cardboard sheath to cover the blade.

As soon as I took it out of the box, the strong smell of Danish oil (or whatever they use, but it smells like Danish oil) hit me. Clearly WS have gone to town on this. I could see straight away this was a different knife. The original "felt" like wood, this one has the smooth sheen and texture of well oiled wood - different altogether. I had planned on getting my own supply of Danish and soaking the new knife, but I don’t think it'll be at all necessary. I haven’t tested it yet, but I can see easily that the handle is well sealed - I will of course test it, but I'd be very surprised indeed, if it didn’t pass with flying colours. The knife also came without those little rust freckles I had on the first one, no big deal but it was nice to see. The general finish is superb, the original was pretty good (aside from the handle issue), and this is just as good if not better. It is razor sharp, popping the hairs off my forearm with ease - it has a good, full zero edge bevels, absolutely no complaints.

Well done WS (and of course Woodlore), I'll need to live with it a bit to be totally happy, but on first impressions, the issues present with the first batch seem to have been thoroughly addressed. This looks to be an excellent tool worthy of the classic Wilkinson Sword marque.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I honestly think that the problems witht he first batch was that they were rushed out for Christmas ... so instead of a "Friday knife" they shipped a "Dec 25 knife".

Looking forward to mine in march!!!!

Thanks for the update Martyn!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Martyn,

Glad you've got your replacement knife and that it seems to be top quality.
I hope you get much pleasure from using it.

Dave

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
I honestly think that the problems witht he first batch was that they were rushed out for Christmas ... so instead of a "Friday knife" they shipped a "Dec 25 knife".

Looking forward to mine in march!!!!

Thanks for the update Martyn!

You're welcome Adi. If I was being super, super, cynical, I'd have to acknowledge that Wilkinson Sword knew who they were sending the knife too, and would have been mugs indeed to send me a duffer (they'd surely know I'd shout about it if it was less than good). But I honestly doubt they've made any special considerations. The knife I've just recieved looks to be perfect, and having had issues which have generated some negative publicity, I'd be very suprised if all the newer models dont leave the factory only after some very careful scrutiny. I'm sure they dont want a repeat. If your knife is as good as this one appears to be Adi, I'm sure you'll be very pleased indeed.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Some more info. I've had some contact with Wilkinson Sword regarding the woodlore and have been given the OK to quote some of the comments, I'm sure you'll find them interesting...

From Wilkinson Sword:

About the new scales...

We are confident with the process we use for treating the maple grips: we have had both types of knives subjected to very harsh climatic tests - high temp/humidity, low temp and immersion, to DEF STAN 00-35. The grip scales on one of the maple knives temporarily showed about 1mm expansion around the edges after being subjected to all 3 tests, but this contracted back after a couple of days at normal atmospheric conditions. None of the knives exhibited any warping, twisting or bowing or loosening of the grip scales.

That should go a long way to reassure people that the replacements and all the blades that now leave the WS factory, are bang on the button. The DEF STAN 00-35 tests, are British ministery of defence materials standards, they may be familiar to people in engineering. They are rigorous and demanding standards - the new scales should be "mil-spec" :lol:

About the reasons for some knives going out with handle slabs that were not fully treated...

The problem with the first batch was caused by us trying to accelerate our ramp-up after some initial delays, resulting in knives mistakenly being shipped without having gone through the full treatment process.
We are not trying to make any excuses for this, and obviously the issue has been highly frustrating and embarrassing. Currently, we are being very cautious as we progress, but anticipate being back on schedule shortly.

Fair enough IMO, both Woodlore and WS were under a ton of pressure to get the knives out before Christmas. I think they *should* have hung on and made sure they were all OK, but that's easy to say sitting here. I figure they have recognised a mistake was made and have done a huge amount to put it right. You cant say fairer than that.

I made a comment in the above post, about the possibility of me getting a "special", this was WS response to that...

...your knife is the same standard as all the rest - the person dealing with shipping is working to the original due date list.

Again, fair enough. They should all be to the same standard then.

There have also been questions about how the knives are treated, what oils/waxes have been used and how to properly care for the. This is WS response...

The grips are stabilised with Linseed oil. We found that this worked much better than other oils or polymeric stabilizers (for this application). Linseed oil also penetrates well - with 'forced' impregnation, there is a tendancy for oil to 'sweat out' at high temperatures. The grips are finished with a mix of waxes. The grips should be relatively low maintenance even when used in extreme climates. We would recommend periodic re-waxing, however if people prefer an oil finish, the wax can be removed and danish or tung oil can be used instead (regular re-oiling would then be recommended).
We intend to produce a small booklet to go with the knife; this will incorporate care instructions and basic instruction on usage, sharpening, etc. Obviously, though, we need to work with Ray on this, so we will be issuing some basic care instructions in the interim.

That should answer a whole bunch of questions.

Cheers,
Martyn.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Ooooh ... forced linseed oil treatment ... that should be nice and stable and last a really long time.

I do wonder if the plan was to have Mil-Spec slabs from the start or that after the fiasco with them they had to make sure that they got it right? I've seen WS resort to Mil-Spec before after having trouble initially (with the original Survival Knife - now the Dartmoor knife).

Anyway, that would give me all the confidence I'd need .. and I think that now these knives are certainly competition to the Alan Wood version.

Standards ... gimme standards!!!!! :twisted:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
Ooooh ... forced linseed oil treatment ... that should be nice and stable and last a really long time.

I dont think it's force impregnated Adi, I asked if they got such good penetration by soaking in a vacuum - that's how wood is stabalised with synthetic polymers. The WS response was to suggest that a linseed soak was used in this case, in preference to force impregnated oils (vacuum), due to the potential to "sweat out" under high temperatures.

My bad, the absence of my question took the response out of context. ;)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
All that's left for you to do is take a mallet and hammer it into a tree and jump on it :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE