Would you take two dozen kids out in the snow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Just wanted to say good luck to the team from The Bushcraft Company, who are taking a couple of dozen 8-16 year olds out into the Oxfordshire woods for the next two nights. The course is called "Winter Wilderness" but I doubt they thought it would be quite so wintry!

Apparently they'll all be sleeping in shelters, learning some carving skills, and how to keep warm in this weather. My lad went to their week-long camp in the summer and loved every minute, he's even more excited about this one.

Will let you know how they got on.

Tobes

[No connection with them, just a happy customer]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant luck for the kids :D
Hope they have a really excellent time :approve: Much better than if they'd done it in the wet and mud.
Are there many companies that take children's groups like this ?

I took a pack of cubs camping one Winter; well, you could back then. Packed them in eight to a Niger tent.

I woke up in the morning in my little A frame tent in a bit of a panic, it was so light I was certain I'd slept in by hours. Undid the zip and stared straight at a four foot high wall of snow :eek: :rolleyes:

Carnwath always was bitter cold :sigh:

Be interesting to hear how he gets on :D

cheers,
Toddy

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
They'll have a hoot of a time, he did the summer course and they were setting traps, fishing for crayfish, sleeping in leaf shelters - basically all the stuff that kids don't get to do these days.

I read an interview with the company's boss Alex (which is where I found out about them) where he bemoaned the fact that the only schools who will work with them are private ones, since the state schools won't even contemplate it on H&S grounds. However, anyone can book in on the public courses, hence why the boys are going.

Tobes

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Yeah of course, done that in the past, not a problem with it at all and I bet they prob enjoy it more than if it was baking hot with midgies making them part of the food chain, well done to the company and instructors for doing it, tons of fun in store for them all, good memories for the kids for years.
goodjob

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Snow is a bonus.

I once took some "disaffected" kids to the Gower and walked them up Rhossili Down at night. I sat them down and told them we were going to be absolutely quiet and just look at the view. (Lights twinkling across Carmarthen Bay over a moonlit Worm's Head). I gave them 15 seconds, tops. Twenty minutes of total silence later, one of the kids says: "Isn't it getting a bit cold, Sir". One of those moments that keeps me in teaching.

Of course, next day, two of them turn over a German tourist and nick his wallet, but you can't have everything...

Enjoy it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE