World's worst coke-can stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I admit to having made some bad stuff in the past but feel so much better with myself after seeing that coke stove. The wax buddy stove is easy to make and they will boil your water, just leave too much soot for me. Sorry but it was up against the worst meths stove I have ever seen.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yup. Youtube is awesome (apols to other thread!) - I can spend hours just trawling through the stuff on there. Some of the bushcraft stuff has me lost in admiration, whilst some of it has me keeled over in laughter, that coke stove being a classic case:)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I gave them the benefit of the doubt initially - that stove would be easy to make on the fly, assuming there are enough litterbugs in the area, but it clearly didn't work. You'd be better off making a tiny hobo stove from the can

The buddy burner looks like it would be difficult to extinguish & would take a long time to cool down enough for the wax to reharden so you could pack it

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Yup. Youtube is awesome (apols to other thread!) - I can spend hours just trawling through the stuff on there. Some of the bushcraft stuff has me lost in admiration, whilst some of it has me keeled over in laughter, that coke stove being a classic case:)

You reminded me of this, you only need to wach the 1st 40 sec to see his minimal kit
"train your mind and your brain"

[video=youtube;jOfUzNxr7fQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOfUzNxr7fQ[/video]

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
All handy to know :) Never thought of collecting dew with a cloth like that as drinking water although it's a bloody obvious source doh lol

Si

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The easiest way to get water this way is to tie the toweling (or cotton T-shirt strips) loosly around your lower legs, with trailing bits if you can manage that, and while you walk through dew wetted long grass (looking for food etc) you get a refreshing sip of water as well.
I have yet to get a realy big drink this way ... but probably enough to keep me alive in a British drought......

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The easiest way to get water this way is to tie the toweling (or cotton T-shirt strips) loosly around your lower legs, with trailing bits if you can manage that, and while you walk through dew wetted long grass (looking for food etc) you get a refreshing sip of water as well.
I have yet to get a realy big drink this way ... but probably enough to keep me alive in a British drought......

Well, if you'd have tied a couple of those super-absorbent cloths instead, you could have had a bath! ( Sorry - just had an impromptu vision of Mr Fenna Morris-dancing through the early-moorning wet grass with a couple of orange cloths tied to his legs... Morris-dancing as a survival tool?) Actually, those cloths are incredibly effective - stick one in a pint glass of water and it will suck up the lot. (A bit like my mrs and beer:) )

The Frogg Toggs however are a less brilliant idea. Great for non-strenuous wear in the rain, but probably wouldn't survive in the woods. A poncho would be better and pack smaller.

Off to pack my AK-47 for North Woods this weekend...............

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Well, if you'd have tied a couple of those super-absorbent cloths instead, you could have had a bath! ( Sorry - just had an impromptu vision of Mr Fenna Morris-dancing through the early-moorning wet grass with a couple of orange cloths tied to his legs... Morris-dancing as a survival tool?) Actually, those cloths are incredibly effective - stick one in a pint glass of water and it will suck up the lot. (A bit like my mrs and beer:) )

The Frogg Toggs however are a less brilliant idea. Great for non-strenuous wear in the rain, but probably wouldn't survive in the woods. A poncho would be better and pack smaller.

Off to pack my AK-47 for North Woods this weekend...............

You'll need an AK in North Woods this weekend Andy. You'll be the only one there! Bring it to RC instead...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Perhaps I should? Figured he knew where he was going but typed NW instead of RC. I sometimes have to think where I'm going when I set out for meets before I hit the M1 so I don't go to the wrong place!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE