Working on a Kukska and spoon until...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
Well, thought I'd make my first thread! I have just started woodcarving, and as I had abit of experience in sculpture I thought I would jump into making a large kukska/bowl and large spoon after having carved a few smaller spoons. It was all going so well until...my hand slipped and the crook knife got me in the little finger! I was tempted not to go to hospital but after much convincing from my girlfriend and a second look at the cuts (one of which resembles filleted beef, with a cut down to the bone) I headed off to A&E. Half a dozen stitches later the flesh has been sewn back to my finger, despite me asking the doctor if it would be better just to cut it off ;). Favourite moment of the evening was when the doctor looked at it again before sewing me up and going 'Oh god, yeah it's pretty bad...you may want to lie down for this'.

So I apologise for my wall of text but it's taking quite a while typing with one hand! And my tip for the evening - wear bloody cut-proof glove on the 'holding' hand :D.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
OWWW! Bad luck dude.I'd wager good money that we've all cut ourselves real bad , particularly carving spoons.I've gone back to just nicking them from my mum's cutlery drawer!Last time I cut myself was with my GB wildlife hatchet , which I dropped just after polishing the edge to shaving sharp.Not thinking , I caught it with my left hand and cut the palm open wide.Bled forever so went to A&E in the end & got stitched up.Next time I let it fall!
Get well soon , Simon

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Ouch! I'd say it's pretty safe to say most of us have a scar or two. I suppose that it's a good lesson to always keep an eye on where your fingers are when carving.

My only cut from a crooked knife though was when I went to get something out the "VERY sharp things" draw I keep them in and it had come out it's sheath and implanted it's self through my little finger nail. I'll be honest I did say a few bad words pretty loudly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE