woot woot 10Km

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ok so not in any way bushcrafty but I ran my first 10km race today, did the Urban Rat Race in Stockton on Tees, good fun, lots of running, obstacles and getting wet.

Legs are feeling a little stiff and my nipples are chaffed but I feel great :) (was it too much info about the nipples?)

Biker

So how are you feeling today? That's the big question... fell out of bed groaning, or sprang out full of life and obscene energy first thing in the day.

About the nipples. I'd say that'd be a yes, too much info LOL!!! Hope they get better soon. One of the unexpected hazards I guess of marathon running.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Good on ya. I did Total Warrior a few weeks back, was a reet good laugh. Am doing the Paras10 in few weeks and I'm not expecting that to be laugh, just a hole heap of pain !

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Brilliant dude! I love running, squats and lunges will do your legs and gait a great deal of good, quality not quantity though, have you heard of fartlek training or intervals? it really helps with your recovery after a hill or having to speed up to pass some one,

greensurfingbear

Not heard of that, will look it up. All advice gratefully received thanks :) interestingly enough i am getting to the stage where i have to stop as my legs hurt rather than I am tired.

If you'd asked me last year if I would be fit enough to race I'd have laughed at you, but did the 5km deerstalker in March, and just did my first 10km. I'm not racing to win just racing for fun and trying to improve my fitness, only really competing against myself. Signed up for mighty deer stalker next year and looking for other "adventure" races to take part in.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
to right dude, its harder to beat yourself than it is any one else, I use Nike+ to track my runs, its a sensor in your shoe and a wrist band, gives you pace, distance, chrono and time, fun bit of kit, intervals are simple enough if you have a countdown timer on your watch, set it to repeat every minuet, go for a run after five minuets gentle warm up pace on the beep speed up to 80% of your fastest pace, beep, slow to normal steady run, beep, back up to 80% and so on for ten beeps, if that makes sense, I stretch before training only holding for 5seconds as the muscles are cold and just the calf, shin, hamstrings and quads get to comfy stretch then hold for 5 and slow release, after running i do the same but hold for 10secs,

greensurfingbear

I've been tracking my process with cardio trainer app on my smart phone. Seeing my distance increase gradual and timing improve. Quite enjoy running, training near home sucks, prefer to into the hills or woods. Just feels "right"

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
definatley, I love the long runs, just a good plod around the local mod training area or along the canal tow path, though my biggest problem was calf pulls, putting to much speed on to quickly, thats where the lunges and squats come in,

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
my training is just getting back after pulling a thigh muscle and tendon, i was out for months, a month or so of steady runs etc etc and i have just started to hit it hard again, just did my first 7 day stint, now 2 days off (maybe..;))... infact 5 miler 2moz...:) im wanting to get my 1.5 mile time back down below 9 mins but wanting sub 8.30 really....

keep up your training GSB, sprints are good training especialy if you do it after a steady state run. also look at Anaerobic workout, its basicly training without oxygen, it makes your body get used to it which means you can train harder and for longer, you will get to a certain point when you wont get any better unless you do this training..... glad you are likeing the running mate, keep with it....

if any events come up around my way give me a bell and we could go together if you want.....

regards.

chris.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Good on you GreenSurfingBear. I'm doing the Mens Health Survival of the Fittest in October (Nottingham). I did it in 2009 and have managed to rope a mate in this year. Great fun, quite hard work but great fun.

greensurfingbear

Surprising how much fun it is considering the effort that goes into training then running one of these events. I do them as something to aim for when training as otherwise I think the sofa monster would pull me in after a hards day work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE