woolen forage caps with ear flaps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I hope someone here can help me. What I'm after is a woolen or felt forage/cadet type cap with ear flaps. I saw one once when I was surfing t'interweb but for some reason never kept a note of the website. Does anyone know where I can find something like this?

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Something like the Swanndri Hunting Cap? It's quite a nice hat, very warm and (thankfully) generously sized. The brim is a bit inflexible, but that's not the end of the world.

Denewear probably aren't the cheapest stockist, but they're the one I know off-hand.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
You might try doing a web search for a Kromer hat/cap. The Kromer company has been making wool hats/caps since the mid 1800's. You often see them in pictures of people working the railroads or working in a logging camp up into the mid 1900's. There is a band inside the hat/cap that folds out to become the ear coverings.

I also use a Swedish military hat during the winter. It looks so much like those classic Rusky winter hats. They have two ear flaps that snap up together over the top when not in use, but fold on down and then snap together under your chin.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I also use a Swedish military hat during the winter. It looks so much like those classic Rusky winter hats. They have two ear flaps that snap up together over the top when not in use, but fold on down and then snap together under your chin.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

think I made something similar with an old sheepskin jacket I had knocking around. I've seen 'em called trappers hats or something similar. Only problem with it is that it's rarely cold enough here to need it. :( :(

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
thanks for that, not to sure about the tie but other than that it's pretty close to what I want.
If you leave it slightly longer than in the pic then you can tuck it away neatly at the back, between the upturned flap and the rear of the crown. Saves walking around with a bow tied on your head :D Most of the time when I have the flaps down I tie the cord behind my neck anyway; it's only needed in pretty severe winds.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE