Wool: A work in progress

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Interesting. According to the sheep breeds link above, the brown hebridean fleece will be from a younger animal, where the sun has bleached the black wool tips, turning it brown. The grey fleece is from an older animal, as they go grey with age.

There you go. I didn't know that. I do now. :D

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well,you seem to be getting on nicely without me, so I'll just leave you to it then... :)

Let me know if there's a nice easy job I can help with.

HM - On a serious note if you happen to be free next Thu or Fri, or possibly Sun it would really be good if you came over and did some carding. It's on the carding machine so relatively light work.

The grey Heb is now dry. The brown/black one should be out drying on the lawn tomorrow with the WM in the wash. I'm away to Dartmoor from Mon thro Wed, by which time the brown Heb will be dry so there will be two fleece-loads of wool to card ... Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp !!!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
HM - On a serious note if you happen to be free next Thu or Fri, or possibly Sun it would really be good if you came over and did some carding. It's on the carding machine so relatively light work.

The grey Heb is now dry. The brown/black one should be out drying on the lawn tomorrow with the WM in the wash. I'm away to Dartmoor from Mon thro Wed, by which time the brown Heb will be dry so there will be two fleece-loads of wool to card ... Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp !!!

Now I'm feeling guilty. Only day I'm free next week is Tuesday, when you are away, and then from the weekend I am away on holiday to North Yorkshire for 10 days - we always go away for our wedding anniversary (17th this year). 'fraid I'm not free for a while, at least until the last weekend of July.

:eek:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Can you bring it to the moot? We could get everyone who has or can borrow hand carders to bring 'em and do a workparty on it :)

I just leave mine tbh and hand card a nights spinning at a time, alternate nights.... I like fluctuation and a kinda roughness in my yarn. It doesn't even the fleece out as well for a whole garment/set though :)

Elen Sentier

Are they good eating as well? And are they a fairly small animal? They sound good and hardy :)

Not bad eating at all - of course it depends on what they've been eating too! it's best to keep them on rough grazing, eating their toenails, or they will tend to get more disease as not built for the modern farm. Too much good food also makes a mess of their wool !!! If you look at the sort of land a sheep comes from and what they would eat there, how they would live, how dry it is for their feet (always a problem!), how hot they will get (worry over them getting "fly", nasty, being eaten by maggot from the inside out while still alive !!!). Lots to consider ...

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Not bad eating at all - of course it depends on what they've been eating too! it's best to keep them on rough grazing, eating their toenails, or they will tend to get more disease as not built for the modern farm. Too much good food also makes a mess of their wool !!! If you look at the sort of land a sheep comes from and what they would eat there, how they would live, how dry it is for their feet (always a problem!), how hot they will get (worry over them getting "fly", nasty, being eaten by maggot from the inside out while still alive !!!). Lots to consider ...
It always fasinates me how you can see the year that was in the staple of their fur, when the animal ailed badly etc :) Tis like the rings on a tree :) But unfortunately my time for smallholding has past :)

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Okay, time for an update.

Last week I had a text from Elen informing me that the three fleeces were now washed and dried, and just needed me to come up and start on the next step- the carding. I replied with the pitiful excuse of being in Yorkshire on my wedding anniversary holiday with my wife, and therefore claimed to be unavailable to help out. This gave me a stay of execution of a week.

My time ran out today.

So, the next step in the process: carding the wool.

Fortunately, Elen has a carding machine. Doing this by hand is no fun, I was informed.
9380612452_9e5668f32e_b.jpg

Carding is essential a firm brushing of the wool, with the aim of getting the fibres more or less lined up and all pointing in the same direction, prior to spinning, so as to give a smoother and stronger thread. It also allows a more thorough cleaning of the wool, as you get to pick it over to remove grass and knotty bits.

First you grab a bit of washed fleece and pull it apart somewhat, in order to open it out. This makes carding it easier. At this point you can remove any obvious lumps, unsuitable bits, and obvious plant material which may still be in the wool.
9380610492_e91805b66d_b.jpg

You feed the wool into the carder, and turn the handle so that the wool is pulled into the machine and begins to wind around the larger of the two wheels.
9380605812_a344e77ec0_b.jpg

Having done this, you pull the carded wool off the wheel.
9380604250_621e71ea5b_b.jpg

Then repeat as many times as necessary to get the wool into reasonable shape. How often depends on the state of the wool (lumps and cleanliness), the wool type and quality, and how smooth you want it in the end. 3-4 times was what we ended up using on this hebridean fleece.
9377812907_4438325f9e_b.jpg

This is how it looks compared to the uncarded fleece. The piece on the left has been through the carder three times.
9377807789_85d42cdb5c_b.jpg

Then you roll your carded bit of fleece up
9380588720_d26996dc89_b.jpg

Stretch it out a little (the wool fibres should slide smoothly over each other as this happens - if they don't, card it again. You soon learn the correct 'feel') with a bit of a twist to help hold it together
9377799633_ab81e71932_b.jpg

Then coil it up into a tidy bundle (which probably has a technical wool-spinning name, but as I'm not even an apprentice yet Elen declined to initiate me into the mysteries of terminology.
9377794295_64b3593446_b.jpg

The next step seems to be to mutter something about needing a shower, perhaps some food, and getting properly dressed (Elen was in her nightie when I arrived, at 1pm or thereabouts. It is a long time since a lady invited me to her house and greeted me in her undergarments :eek: ). The net result of this is to leave the poor naïve sap who foolishly expressed an interest in wool with three huge bags of fleece and a carding machine, and instructions to "get on with it". I began to see the advantages of child labour at around this point.
9377788361_5d33b0ab0a_b.jpg

Elen returned in a while, more modestly dressed, and instead of saying something like "Is that all you've managed? I could have made a fairisle sweater and some socks by now" she informed me that I seemed to have the hang of it, so Elen helped by pulling apart the wool, and I carded it.

After a bit, rain stopped play, so we went indoors, where my expected bowl of gruel and half a cup of water turned out to be a Spanish omelette with fresh green, and lots of earl grey tea. We chatted some more, and looked at the fruits of my labours. I estimate 2 hours of work, possibly more, possibly less.
9377790645_fcc7999b47_b.jpg

Elen said that is about a third of a fleece's worth, which means there's just another two and two-thirds to go. I will have to go back for more.

I will indeed. it has been a pleasure so far. Thanks Elen :D

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

It was indeed a pleasure :), especially watching you get the hang and the feel of the fleece ... including the mutterings and encouraging noises you made to yourself. As Gandalf said of talking to one's self, "It's a habit of the old, they always choose the most intelligent person present to converse with!".

Looking fwd to the next session ... Paul (hubby) is making noises about the house being full of sheep !!! Perhpas he'll feel better when we've reduced the bags of fleece to balls of wool ??? By the way, the grass down in the Woody Bit is now covered in wet lumps of discarded wool, hope the lawn mower can cope :lmao:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohhh lovely drum carder! I bottow Mums occasionally but mostly work by hand carders as and when needed... a whole fleece, let alone 3, would render my wrists limp for months! The terminology you're after, young HM, is 'rovings' for the prepared wool. As it comes off the carder in a sheet, its a 'bat'. Just wait until she gets you introduced to niddy-noddys and lazy kates ;)

I got definate Macintosh dress envy now, Elen :) I thought of you often today, took mum down to Fibre East show in Bedford... they had stalls of drum carders and all manner of spinny delights :)

Elen Sentier

Ohhh lovely drum carder! I bottow Mums occasionally but mostly work by hand carders as and when needed... a whole fleece, let alone 3, would render my wrists limp for months! The terminology you're after, young HM, is 'rovings' for the prepared wool. As it comes off the carder in a sheet, its a 'bat'. Just wait until she gets you introduced to niddy-noddys and lazy kates ;)

I got definate Macintosh dress envy now, Elen :) I thought of you often today, took mum down to Fibre East show in Bedford... they had stalls of drum carders and all manner of spinny delights :)

Just so, on the limp wrists, Sal. Mine would seize up altogether in agony! Could not manage without the drum carder, one of my best buys along with a ball-winder. Rovings to rolag, HM will do fine and he has a box-full now to spin. The Macintosh nightie was from Cats Protection xmas catalogue :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks like a very fun thing to learn. Thanks for sharing.

Just think Niels, you could card some of the pups hair after grooming and make something warm and bushcrafty - like felty boot liners for those cold Dutch winters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE