Woodsmoke Woodlander

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
andy_scouser said:
Im getting excited now, I had to move my dates to the 4th-10th June as a friend is also going but had law exams to do. I've been on a bit of a spending spree and have most of what I need now. I think ill get it all in my vango 30+5 rucksack, tent included ;) (went for a hogan in the end BTW). :)

Id say the only thing im struggling to decide upon is a light weight. wind/rain outer layer...so much choice and im not sure whats best. I have a winter coat that I use for walking in the lakes during winter, but I don't want to ruin it.

Completely stressed out at work... and hoping this course will clear my head and also give me a good start to many great adventures to come. :D

Well, for trousers I don't think you can do much better than the some gore-tex salopettes from army surplus. Got a pair of flecktarn german ones for £15 and they put up with all that last week could throw and then some.

Jacket - don't worry too much, there's not much time spent stood in the rain. It's the knees and ankles you should worry about....

I'll post a quick run-down of the week later when I have time....

Neil

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
Excellent, i look forward to reading that. I bought some army light wieghts, hope they are up to it. Ive also decided to use my real tree camo gear and goretex dpm over trousers. Keep my dry well enough rolling around the mud at HFT shooting comps and hunting. :BlueTeamE

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Ok, here goes...
I think it's best not to give away too much, as the anticipation of what is next is part of what makes the course!

So, what did we do?
Well, we covered a lot of areas (see below). Mostly in the format of a brief interactive lecture round the fire, showing popular kit, what works and what doesn't, good and bad techniques, and some interesting lore and stories, before a period of practical work trying out what we’d just learnt and starting whatever project that stemmed from what we had covered. These were then to be completed at our leisure and to be presented on Saturday. A couple of little walks around the estate for some of it too.

Topics:
Care and proper use of knives and saws :swordfigh. No axe work at all – don't expect to use one if you bring it. You'll be disappointed. Still, I think most people (I'm pleased to say not me) ended up with a nick or two by the end of the week...
Basic trapping and snare setting
Various ways to start and build fires, including tinder types, preparation, gathering, appropriate use etc.
Shelter making, including the option of sleeping in one if you like
Fishing: Just a brief overview of efficient ways to get fish for food and the opportunity to chuck a few lures in with a spinning rod. If you're a keen fisherman bring your own gear, their ones are a bit naff and the reels were knackered. They don't mind you having a cast in your spare time but don't take the mick.
Carving a spoon!
Preparing wild foods (we did trout and pigeon) including cooking your own dinner at least once…
Cordage and other crafts
Tree and plant ID's
Looking after yourself: Hydration, hypothermia, shelter from elements etc.
Basic tracking
Some simple star navigation and lore
Fire drill (this takes some time and a fair bit of effort! Still, the sense of achievement is immense)
A few smaller projects
A bunch of stuff that I can't remember right now.
Ate cake every night at 9pm. If it wasn't present, the natives got restless!
Oh, and got rained on. Lots.

What did I enjoy?
All of it! (esp. the cake and the constant supply of tea)

Bad points:
Forgetting where I'd put stuff and finding it just after I'd needed it (Lesson: Keep everything together, and dry!) :banghead:
Spectacularly falling on my backside into deep mud while lots of people were watching. :banghead:
Having to get out of my hammock at 3am and 5am in the rain most mornings as a side effect of all the tea I drank. :theyareon

Most useful bits of kit:
Wooly hat to wear at night in bed
Goretex salopettes
ASDA balti dish - all round useful camp crockery (get a big one - see Alan Partridge)
Head Torch :thinkerg: !
Tea Mug (steel)

Least useful:
Swiss Army Knife
Plastic plate
sun cream :lmao:

Top Tips
Keep track of where you put things - try to keep it all in one place

Make sure you listen to their little suggestions - a small hint at one point early in the week may make all the difference to how you get on come Saturday.

Try to make the most of all the projects - it may seem like they mount up but you do have time to do them all, and get as much work in as early as you can because you can expect more to come through the week

Pitch your site as high up as possible - the further down the hill, the more in the dew trap you'll be.

Some particular highlights for me:

Waking up on Thursday morning to sun streaming into the spruce shelter we’d made. I was on my own for an hour, with sun pouring down the little valley, a babbling stream running by, and an hour to kill. Washed in the stream, put out the fire in the shelter (it was supposed to be there!), and felt just like Grizzly Adams. I had a look around to see if Gentle Ben was kicking around somewhere. Then went a bit native and thought to myself: "Soon the White Man will come and spoil this place" and other such delusions… Got dressed, went to the main camp and had Crunchy Nut Cornflakes for breakfast. Felt a little more sane. :rolleyes:

Gettting an ember for the first, second.. in fact every time, with the Fire drill. :D

The not-too-early starts :approve:

Cake! And the accompanying chat sitting round the fire. In particular the stories of (usually drunken) misadventure from one of our number, which kept us in stitches for most of the week! :grouphug:

Teaching a thing or two to the instructors on Fish gutting was pretty satisfying (tutorial to come next time I have a fish and a camera and a second pair of hands in the same place.) Hopefully Steve and Matt will remember the trick and show you next week, Andy…

Learning that a Golf umbrella is a pretty useful woodland tool. (or the "Smug Umbrella" as Lisa called it – because the person standing under their only one usually looks pretty smug!) :umbrella:

Seeing Anthony graduate to Full Instructor and being awarded his instructor's knife (only the fourth, including Ben and Lisa). He was righfully pleased and fully deserved it. :You_Rock_

A refreshing (i.e. very chilly!) swim in the Tarn. If you have a go, unless you're used to it, I recommend holding on to the dam until you've acclimatised or you may find yourself realising it's cold about 10m away from the side and finding it suddenly difficult to swim or even breathe freely because of the sudden shivers! :aargh4:

And the peace that can only be found after settling in to the hammock with a good book by candlelight at the end of the day, listening to the stream, the calls of the owls and eventually the distant snores of other satisfied students (or was it Gentle Ben…?) :240:

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
ilovemybed said:
A refreshing (i.e. very chilly!) swim in the Tarn. If you have a go, unless you're used to it, I recommend holding on to the dam until you've acclimatised or you may find yourself realising it's cold about 10m away from the side and finding it suddenly difficult to swim or even breathe freely because of the sudden shivers! :aargh4:

The Woodlander is a great course. The setting is superb. Swimming in the tarn first thing in the morning is a great way to start the day. I would just add to the above entry two suggestions: The fringe of the tarn has SSI status because the banks are the breeding area for a dragon fly not found everywhere so... only approach the tarn from the wall or the areas nearest the wall at each side to avoid habitat disruption. And the best entry point is on the side of the dam furthest from the boathouse. This is also handy if you are swimming au natruel as distance confers some discretion. :D

Tina and I completed this course in 2004 and some pics of that course can be seen here.

So much good advice has already been given (ilovemybed et al) and the only addition I would make is to take notes. There is a lot of info over the week. There are plenty of tasks. In the week after you are home, you will wish you made notes as you went... :)

These notes are really caveats for the next intake, I guess.

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
Thank you very much for the above reviews, some good tips found within and a good idea of what to expect. Im feeling relaxed already :)

I can't wait.

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
:D Wow, that was so much more than I expected. I really think the woodlander course has changed me, for the better too.

My main requirements where to chill out from work, light fire from friction and to take away some skills that I can pass to my son. All of this i can definitely put a tick in the box and so much more. Since getting back on Saturday afternoon, I am constantly remembering things that happened, things I have learnt and mostly realising what a hectic and so far detached world we live in.....

I realise now that I have some personality changes I need to make, mostly down to ensuring how I control stress, this I can do by remembering the important things in life and not just putting pressure on myself to earn more cash for toys I don't really need.

I so wish I was back there now, I fancy a swim in the tarn. :D

If any of the lads are on here that took the Woodlander course, thanks again. :You_Rock_

to add.... wool socks only from now on and NEVER buy gelert stuff again, especially the paracord.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
andy_scouser said:
:D Wow, that was so much more than I expected. I really think the woodlander course has changed me, for the better too.

My main requirements where to chill out from work....(snip)
....I realise now that I have some personality changes I need to make, mostly down to ensuring how I control stress, this I can do by remembering the important things in life and not just putting pressure on myself to earn more cash

Good man! It's funny, isn't it, when you find yourself running round stressing whether you've got enough dry grass or birch bark for Saturday or coveting other people's big bundles of the stuff, despite the fact it literally grows on trees, then realising the futility... :confused: Suddenly it puts the same kind of behaviour in normal life into perspective. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE