Woodsmoke Nomad 2005 (any BCUK attendees?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Just wondering if any of the members of this forum are going to be part of Ben's Nomad trip later this year? It might be useful to meet before the trip...get to know each other, etc.

Vince

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
sargey said:
not me, i was on last years. :D it's a good'un.

cheers, and.

Sargey

Any tips or advice to pass on? How light should I pack? What should I not leave out of the pack? Should I pack the GPS? How tough was the physical side?

Vince

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it's difficult to say, your best bet is to stck with your usual bushcrafty/backpacking kit. go with what you're used to working with.

but as for lessons learnt?

i was wondering wether i could get away with the lightweight summer waterproofs, i was very glad i chickened out and took serious waterproofs.

you won't need a big chopper, just your basic knife and a small saw. i could have gotten by with less knives than i took with me, but where's the fun in that? :D

i only took one cook pot. i really wished i'd taken both of my Ti pots and my sainsbury's hard anodised aluminium pie tin, it's a plate/bowl/frying pan. :cool: frying in one is a tricky endevour. you need an "L" shaped branch to use as a rake to keep a stack of fresh embers under it. i also wish i'd taken my plastic tube of anchor spreadable for frying.

the physical side is definately sweaty in places. ;) just get out walking with the full pack. there were a couple of moments i wondered why i'd signed up for it. but that was largely due to the outrageous weather!

i'd be glad to help with any other specific questions.

cheers, and

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i didn't bother taking my gps, but it would have been nice to have had an exact log of the voyage that way.

make the effort to keep a journal.

cheers, and.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
sargey said:
it's difficult to say, your best bet is to stck with your usual bushcrafty/backpacking kit. go with what you're used to working with.

but as for lessons learnt?

i was wondering wether i could get away with the lightweight summer waterproofs, i was very glad i chickened out and took serious waterproofs.

you won't need a big chopper, just your basic knife and a small saw. i could have gotten by with less knives than i took with me, but where's the fun in that? :D

i only took one cook pot. i really wished i'd taken both of my Ti pots and my sainsbury's hard anodised aluminium pie tin, it's a plate/bowl/frying pan. :cool: frying in one is a tricky endevour. you need an "L" shaped branch to use as a rake to keep a stack of fresh embers under it. i also wish i'd taken my plastic tube of anchor spreadable for frying.

the physical side is definately sweaty in places. ;) just get out walking with the full pack. there were a couple of moments i wondered why i'd signed up for it. but that was largely due to the outrageous weather!

i'd be glad to help with any other specific questions.

cheers, and

Sargey

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Vince

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE