Woods with Hugo & Rockmonkey - pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed a cracking day out today with Hugo & Rockmonkey, went to a different part of the woods we use for a change and eventually we found a good spot to plonk ourselves down in a do a bit of carving.

Few pics

Walking up past the big House

DSCN3497.jpg

the woods and the tuther two

DSCN3500.jpg

Chanctonbury Ring in the distance

DSCN3501.jpg

getting there, would get there faster if it wasn't for some bloke who keeps stopping and taking pictures:rolleyes:

DSCN3502.jpg

Old Pheasant pens and associated detritus

DSCN3504.jpg

DSCN3506.jpg

DSCN3507.jpg

Lots of Deer around

DSCN3508.jpg

moss covered timber - lovely

DSCN3513.jpg

getting sorted out

DSCN3514.jpg

view up slope

DSCN3515.jpg

the boys carving a few spoons, i only carved one small teaspoon today, partly because, im spending most of tomorrow carving spoons, but also in the presence of these two, my creations pale into insignificance:rolleyes:

DSCN3522.jpg

but also because i wanted to carve a pot hook, not the best ive ever made, but it will do the job

DSCN3520.jpg

day nearly over and heading back up the hill

DSCN3534.jpg

where we had been

DSCN3535.jpg

the lads

DSCN3536.jpg

we decided to go and have a look round one of the old barns on the way back and found a couple of the local kids under-age drinking and enjoying a good sized fire, they saw us and legged it, leaving the fire going but making sure they took their booze:(, we never uttered a word to them, mind you if you saw three blokes in green carrying big old ruck sacks walking down the path then i guess it can be pretty intimidating, the thing is i was going to ask them if the kettle was on, as i like to engage with and talk to them, rather than having a pop at the yoofs, it's a far better way to educate, than getting into a shouting match, which alienates them even further and acheives nothing.

DSCN3537.jpg

we took the fire apart so the big logs burned themselves out, unfortunately we didn't have any water or access to water to douse the fire, but pulling it apart only left a small ember bed and we left it in as safe a condition as we could considering the circumstances.

after that we wandered down and back to the cars, superb day out again, with loads of laughs and good company, roll on next week:)

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Cracking day out once again matey, With great company as always!
It really was a lovely place to plonk thy butts!
Moss covered woodland is the best!
Next week Kuksa!.......

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Great time was had by all of us as usual mate.
As to the young fellas, at least one of them drinks Bishops finger so they can't be that bad.
As you say tea would have been nice, and a chat with them.
That big serving spoon I was working on came out nice, did the bowl when I got in, just waiting for it to dry out now, no sanding this time as it looks good.
I might bring pancake mix next time, and some descent coffee.
Wouldn't mind carving up at the ring next time, practice being a druid like. :lmao:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes!..............................
Glad your spoon came out good hugo!
You will have to bring it with you next week or send me a picture?
And a picture of the blades you use?

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Hey Hugo i need to see that your putting the crusader to some good use. Need pics.

Would you believe it John, I took my Tatonka burner with me to use with it and the blooming thing is far too big, it sits too high as the pot rest will not close down. Next time it will be the monkey boy stove as I know that will fit the Crusader.

Cheers mate.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thats the only issue with the crusader. I made a monkey boy and works really well. That guy deserves a medal for coming up with the idea. I made mine from a tin of bisley magnums as the tin is a little taller and holds mure fuel.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
As stated looks like all had a grand time, I am a bit intrigued about the pot hanger. Could you give me a little back ground on this set up. I have seen and used other patterns of hanger but this one is new to me. All info would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As stated looks like all had a grand time, I am a bit intrigued about the pot hanger. Could you give me a little back ground on this set up. I have seen and used other patterns of hanger but this one is new to me. All info would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

It's a take apart pot hanger, i made a far better one today, if you study the below picture you will see how it works, far easier than trying to explain it, all you need are two forked sticks and a wedge and a bit of patience to make it, it's a pretty neat way to hang a pot.

DSCN3604.jpg

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
For Johnnyboy, Your Crusader in action, tea for two along with hot cross buns and apples.
A fallow deer running away as we approached to make my day SHMBO needs glasses so did not see it. Monkey boy stove inside the Crusader.
003-5.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i hope you cleared your mess up round the carving tree, picked all your wood shavings up etc:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE