Woods to practise bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 25, 2012
Bournemouth
Hiya everyone my first post and a total bushcraft virgin! Can anyone tell me how to go about starting this adventure? I don't mean courses etc I mean do I just find a wood and get started? Are there any good sites in the south west that anyone can recommend? Thanks in advance for any advice

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am tempted to say "grow your own" but that is hardly very friendly. I'm in the Midlands anyway so can't help down south.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Just gotta use your noggin - I live in a fairly rural area, we have hundreds of woods all owned by different landowners. Start by going for a walk in a few of them, the proper managed ones you will soon come to know by the evil eyed owners who patrol them and glare at you. Avoid these ones unless you fancy a showdown. These are very few and far between. You will find that most of the woods you walk in, unless public pathed, are desolate treed areas with just you, the plantlife and the occasional bee. Find one you like, take a seat, and relax.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
welcome to the forum. first rule of thumb...memorise this forum!!!

but in all seriousness, you should have a read through this forum searching for the types of things your interested in, for example if shelter building is your thing, foraging for wild foods, DIY Crafty things...we've got it all! so just have a read and then yes, like you said, take yourself off into some woods and give it a try!

youll be addicted in no time! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE