Woods 4 March 2011 - V Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The boys had a day off school today because their teachers were "undergoing training", why the teachers couldn't have had their training during half term last week i dont know, anyway having a day off and it being a nice day made a perfect excuse to go to the woods to collect some materials.

Walking in

DSCF0417.jpg

Just about caught the snow drops

DSCF0414.jpg

further down the path

DSCF0418.jpg

approaching the area where we head "off trail", but before we do, time for a quick break on the memorial bench

DSCF0427.jpg

looking back down the path

DSCF0428.jpg

off trail now and time to inspect the local kids handy work with their tree house, pretty well built, bit over the top on the use of six inch nails, cant really complain too much though, i used to do the same when i was a kid in these very woods.

DSCF0429.jpg

DSCF0432.jpg

Heading up to our spot in the woods we pass some Fox poop

DSCF0438.jpg

and some Deer tracks

DSCF0439.jpg

arriving at "our" spot, we settle down, youngest decided to sit on his seat that he made up here last time, but he forgot that hazel rots and he is bigger, so he went straight through it, oh boy did we laugh

DSCF0441.jpg

DSCF0442.jpg

after settling down - again, we had a bit of a wander round the area, this is looking up one of the Badger trails

DSCF0445.jpg

Badger skull

DSCF0447.jpg

and the set, they have expanded it considerably since our last visit here

DSCF0451.jpg

DSCF0452.jpg

time now to gather the materials we wanted to collect, (with permission of the Estate)

DSCF0463.jpg

DSCF0464.jpg

DSCF0469.jpg

we left this gnarly old beast on guard as we thought he looked a bit - Aztec

DSCF0472.jpg

having filled our previosuly emtpy rucksacks with raw materials for home, we had a bit of lunch and a drink and then went exporing again, you can just about make out youngest in this pic (red hat)

DSCF0470.jpg

he is actually having a dig around the root ball of a fallen Hazel tree, where he found this, it looks like a scraper

DSCF0487.jpg

and works like a scraper

DSCF0477.jpg

i also had a dig around the immediate area and found two pieces of flint that look worked, certainly the smaller piece is very similar to a piece i found once before and had dated at the local Museum to 6000 yrs old (Neolithic) and there is recorded evidence in the local museum in the shape of a hand axe that was found around here that dates human activity on these hills to 250,000 yrs ago.

DSCF0499.jpg

I also found this, which at first glance i thought was a flint nodule, but up on closer inspection there is a definate join on the upper part, also looking at the outside and in a couple of places there appears to be a honey comb structure inside:confused:

DSCF0501.jpg

Talking of flint, it's not in short supply round here, thats a UK Size 11 or US Size 12 boot for scale

DSCF0484.jpg

after this we continued exploring and found loads of deer tracks, browse, scat and lays

DSCF0504.jpg

DSCF0480.jpg

DSCF0508.jpg

DSCF0509.jpg

DSCF0458.jpg

and this really cool tree all covered in moss

DSCF0511.jpg

not too mention the old hide

DSCF0506.jpg

DSCF0514.jpg

before long though it was time to call it a day, so passing past the Daldinia (collected some for later use)

DSCF0523.jpg

and the old Beech that lost some of it's limbs

DSCF0524.jpg

we made our way back to civilisation and a well deserved cup of tea, might venture back up here next week on my todd to see if i can spot some of the deer, we were too noisy today by far and the animals were long gone before we even got near.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
The boys had a day off school today because their teachers were "undergoing training", why the teachers couldn't have had their training during half term last week i dont know,

Can't let this go:

Training days were added to the school year several years ago. They were never working days and always part of the school holidays. As a result, kids never had to go to school on these days as they would have been part of their holidays. Instead, teachers had their holidays shortened and had to go in to be "trained".

Nice pics by the way...

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Can't let this go:

Training days were added to the school year several years ago. They were never working days and always part of the school holidays. As a result, kids never had to go to school on these days as they would have been part of their holidays. Instead, teachers had their holidays shortened and had to go in to be "trained".

More than several years ago - it was very late 1990s when Kenneth Baker was Minister of Education.

Best Wishes
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE