Woods 24-2-2011 - Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Boys and i enjoyed a cracking day out in the woods today, was very pleasant to be back up there, in more ways than one, the spring sunshine was even, dare i say it, slightly warm:cool:

walking in

DSCF0010.jpg

Catkins in abundance

DSCF0011.jpg

Early Primrose, also evidence of Violets and Bluebells peeking through as well, not to mention masses of Dogs Mercury & Wood Spurge

DSCF0012.jpg

Deer Rub

DSCF0013.jpg

and a Deer Lay, we studied the lay and found hoof prints and hairs

DSCF0015.jpg

anyways, we got to the area we frequent in these woods, we like to have a single "base camp" and travel out and explore from a central point as it reduces our impact in the woods and as we are allowed fires here (didn't bother today), it means we don't go leaving fire scars all over the woods.

Unbeknown to me Youngest had bought his Trek made catapult with him

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

and his Trek made sling,

DSCF0025.jpg

unbeknown to them, i had bought my NW Manitiou sling with me, which eldest tried to get the hang off

DSCF0024.jpg

while we were in the woods we wanted to see if the Birch sap was rising yet, simple answer, yes it is, so a quick tap was set and a cup lashed to the tree to capture the sap

DSCF0045.jpg

how much have we got?

DSCF0068.jpg

we then set up a double tap on an adjacent tree

DSCF0093.jpg

this was captured in the first few minutes

DSCF0090.jpg

the youngest decided it was time to fore arrows from his catapult, the arrow is a length of hazel with a dead leaf set in the end as a flight, worked surprisingly well

DSCF0101.jpg

him taking a picture of me taking a picture of him

DSCF0104.jpg

Catkins are stunning at the moment

DSCF0111.jpg

and an early Ladybird

DSCF0116.jpg

Jelly Ear fungus

DSCF0130.jpg

Guess someone round these parts has been collecting birch bark, really no idea who that could be:rolleyes::rolleyes:

DSCF0131.jpg

Birch Polypore

DSCF0133.jpg

time to head back to the camp for some lunch, boys cooking their lunch

DSCF0141.jpg

DSCF0142.jpg

Mine all done and ready to be scoffed

DSCF0146.jpg

after lunch went for another wander round to see what i could see, found some great Badger tracks

DSCF0149.jpg

DSCF0151.jpg

Badger claw marks on a fallen fence post

DSCF0153.jpg

The Kitchen

DSCF0156.jpg

Unusual shot, up an Oak tree

DSCF0158.jpg

Collected some Birch logs to bring home for the carving pile, all of this came from one fallen branch

DSCF0162.jpg

Had to make a start on a new spoon there and then though - as you do

DSCF0166.jpg

before long time was getting on, the shadows were growing longer

DSCF0102.jpg

and it was time to head out and home, via the second hand tool shop (all 9000 sq ft of it):dblthumb:, but that's another story

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Nice pics mate, must of been nice to be out on such a lovely day! i saw a little sun today aswell mind!..... but unfortunatly it was through my windows at work! :( lol!

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
That looks like a really nice woodland your in ,and you got some good pics cheers for sharing

Jason

Ps how much sap did you get ?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ps how much sap did you get ?

About half a cup in the end before we decided we had enough, im sure with a better set up we could have filled our boots with it, it was literally pouring out of the tree

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks fo rthe comments everyone, aye Gordy the boys are growing fast, too fast, eldest is starting to "borrow" shirts and trews off me now, still way he is going, wont be long and i can return the favour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE