Woods 20-6-2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Had another very enjoyable day in the woods with Hugo & Rockmonkey today, no special cooking treats, although, Hugo did bring along a huge Apple Pie that was split three ways, very tasty it was too - thanks mate.

Had a bit of bushy day, RM did some on his new handle for his spoon knife, very good it looks two with the contrasting materials used, no photo's, as im not going to steal his thunder on it, so we did a bit of carving,

DSCN6445.jpg

bit of pyrite hunting and at last Hugo found a huge piece of it

DSCN6448.jpg

i made a small bullroarer from a piece of Hazel and then made the cord to go with it from some nettles

DSCN6433.jpg

DSCN6442.jpg

also made myself a spoon and made a start on a set of chopsticks

DSCN6459.jpg

Also messed around with some Magnesium shavings and a ferro rod

[video=youtube;6AtyRFb5MFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AtyRFb5MFU[/video]

on the way back we came across a load of Common Spotted Orchids

DSCN6453.jpg

DSCN6454.jpg

as well as a whole host of other goodies such as Salad Burnett & Wild Thyme, not long after these pics were taken we headed down slope and back towards the cars and home.

Great day out with great company as always, roll on next week :bigok:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Enjoyable as always mate, liking the apple pie, I'll finish my three spoons tomorrow morning before I pack my gear for the weekend camp, I do like a bit of sanding in the mornings.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Spankingly good day out guy's as always.
Nearly finished my spoon knife, so will show soon! Probably whilst you two have deserted me for the weekend!!:lmao:
Thanks for bringing the Apple Pie Hugo! Mmmmmm, better than smoking!!, I think!:confused:
Have a good weekend guy's, and think of me whilst you are doing Bushy stuff!!!!:(
RM

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers Sam, Bullroarers are great fun to make and use, Rockmonket made a srat on one today out of some gorgeous spalted Beech, you will have to have a go, if you do, let us know how you get on?

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Join the Queue Sam, ever bulging to do list, my latest is to make myself a double layer hammock from ripstop nylon, hoping it will be delivered early next week so I can make a start.
Always got a kuksa, knife, spoons on the go.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well I almost finished my three spoons that I made on the day, need to let the timber dry out before a light fine sanding then a little walnut oil. Hear they be.
Bimblespoons001.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looking good batman, here's the one i started, still not happy with it ;)

DSCN6470.jpg

DSCN6472.jpg

DSCN6475.jpg

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Mmmm, Nice work there mate!.:bigok:
Have finished my handle, but all my photo's are too large to post on forum!, just trying to work out how to compress jpeg file so i can show my handle work!!:)
Have a good weekend!
RM

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Mmmm, Nice work there mate!.:bigok:
Have finished my handle, but all my photo's are too large to post on forum!, just trying to work out how to compress jpeg file so i can show my handle work!!:)
Have a good weekend!
RM

If you use something like Photobucket on the web it will resize them for you as you upload them, there are tweaks you can make in the upload settings for it:)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Kepis, when carving spoons, cups, bullroarers etc. do you avoid greenwood? If not how do you avoid splitting as it dries out.

I watched Peter T carve a cup the other weekend, but I think that wood was a bit seasoned, not sure how much.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Kepis, when carving spoons, cups, bullroarers etc. do you avoid greenwood? If not how do you avoid splitting as it dries out.

I watched Peter T carve a cup the other weekend, but I think that wood was a bit seasoned, not sure how much.

Nope, i use greenwood as much as possible as it's easier to carve, to stop the splitting, just make sure you remove the central pith or growing pointand the chances of a split are drasically reduced, burls and the like are a different matter though, a good way to stop green wood splitting is to keep the work piece in a ziplock so it dries very slowly

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Swallow mate, Peters cup was made from an birch burl, they don't split as the grain is swirly if you know what I mean.
Reminds me, we left a lot at burls at camp, I need on for a project.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
One reason I ask is the council arrived to carve up (and presumably woodchip !?) a cherry tree that had fallen over across the road. They were pretty cool about giving us the big bits but not the small branches for some reason we could not figure. Pity we didn't see it before they arrived and get to it with the laplanders. Anyway there's a nice piece we did get about 6" round and shade over a foot long which might make some interesting bowls. I wasn't sure whether to season or go straight in and whether to avoid using the charcoal burn out technique as it might overdry the wood. Thoughts?

@Hugo
I think I know what you mean. I couldn't tell how long that was cut before we got to it.

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Cherry will split if it has just been cut, good idea is to leave the piece you are working on in a plastic bag along with some wet shavings, I also soak a piece of wood for a few days and leave it in the bag to help keep the cherry from drying out.
The first two kuksas that I made have cracks in them as I left them indoors after carving, big mistake, lesson learned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE