Woodlore clones??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woodland whittler

Mar 19, 2022
England
Hello everyone,
This is my first thread so go easy! I am in looking for a good woodlore clone that is sub £200 and good quality. Although I have seen similar threads, they were all posted about 12 years ago, so are a bit outdated! Two knives that I’m considering are:
Casstrom Woodsman knife
A wright bushcraft knife
Please offer any opinions you might have in either of these or other woodlore alternatives please! Any opinion is appreciated!
Thanks!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The TBS Boar is a pretty good knife. You've also got the Lars Falt knife by Castrom

Personally I like the Spyderco Bushcrafter but there's quite a few woodlore clones out there. You could even get a bespoke version made by a good maker for the sort of money you've got

Woodland whittler

Mar 19, 2022
England
If you want to spend a bit more, Alan Wood makes them to order for £280
Though I’m still not sure, how would I be able to contact Alan Wood if I decided on any of his knives. Google search proved useless.
Rob Evans
Ben Orford
My dream knife is a Ben Orford 3.5 inch woodlander but they are a little out of my price range! Any thoughts on the casstrom woodsman? I noticed Bob evans himself uses and likes it!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Though I’m still not sure, how would I be able to contact Alan Wood if I decided on any of his knives. Google search proved useless.

My dream knife is a Ben Orford 3.5 inch woodlander but they are a little out of my price range! Any thoughts on the casstrom woodsman? I noticed Bob evans himself uses and likes it!
Alan Wood can be found on Edgematters forum.

there is also this from the US, a lower cost than fully hand made.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
OK, slightly OT:
Why is the WL so popular? Is it somehow better than the knives before it?

I have never handled one and I am just wondering as it looks pretty much like many other heavy outdoor knives.

(I am not trying to start a fight but tales of comparison from people who have used WL and other knives.)

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
OK, slightly OT:

I have never handled one and I am just wondering as it looks pretty much like many other heavy outdoor knives.

(I am not trying to start a fight but tales of comparison from people who have used WL and other knives.)
For me personally, the Woodlore set the pace for what an outdoor / Bushcraft knife should be, that's why it is so iconic.

The knives available before were a bit rubbish, most were clip point, and trash steel. Now that is not saying that good knives were not out there, they were just not available to the general masses.

I have handled a Woodlore, and the converted instructors versions......do I wish I owned one, yes. Do I have a Woodlore style knife, yes.

Importantly, do I use it......no. For me, a high sabre grind is a better all round, and in a stainless steel.

I have observed that since the Woodlore, knife designs have notably improved.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I used to own an Alan Wood Woodlore that I bought off Mr Mears's website long before you had to wait ten or twelve years for one. It was a good knife - great steel, designed with function in mind and beautifully made - but I sold it eventually. Why? Well, over time and trying out a number of different knives, I came to prefer a sub-4mm thick blade and wanted something with a little more of a curve on it. So my chosen knife now is a Woodlore clone but one made by Ben Orford. It ticks all the boxes for me and remains my cutting tool of choice.

Above anything else, the Woodlore was a massive improvement on what I had been using up until then: a dull, 'stainless', clip-point bladed thing with a monstrously knobbly antler handle that I bought from the Scout shop... Things are so much better now and the choice available is bafflingly wide.

Reactions: swyn and TLM

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
OK, slightly OT:

You would think people would pay more attention to what axe/hatchet to bring then on a knife. But you rarely see someone on TV with an axe, always knives.

Reactions: Billy-o

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Casström Lars Fält
Casström No10
Casström Woodsman

Brisa Trapper versions are also worth a thought.

If you just want a good and cheap survival knife take the Morakniv Garberg with leather sheath. In my opinion you get nowhere so much knife for your money.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
It depends how you define woodlore clone. If a similar blade shape (i.e. drop point/spear with minimal belly) would do, there are lots of options. If you are looking for a very close copy options are more limited and prices higher.

I have recently accuired Spyderco Bushcrafter and it is quite nice. Very comfortable to use for extended period of time and seems like heat treat is spot on as it was still popping hair after hour of greenwood carving. They are bit difficult to get hold on, but if you can they are much cheaper than £200 and works great. I also briefly had LT Wright GNS it was again as comfortable but did not used it so can not say anthing about the steel performance or extended use comfort. But it should be good, you can get it around £200 imported from US. I sold mine much cheper which I regret now!

If you are after vry close copy, Jacklore seems to make good ones but not any where near £200. More like around £300, but arguably fit and finish could be better than the original one! And there is Driftwoodwalker (google it, I think he is a member too), he makes resaonably close copies. Then of course there is the original maker, Alan Wood. You can find him on Edge Matters froums (google it) but I am not sure if you can get for less than £300.

Nomad666

Nov 6, 2015
BC Canada
Make your own a couple files and some wood a campfire and its done!
Really I am making a couple more this summer...
I am looking forward to making that saw blade into a sawknife just to see if it works as a duel use item in one...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE