Woodland management tutorials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire

I have noticed that a lot of people are asking about how to coppice and other woodland management tasks. So would people find it helpful if some tutorials were done and what other woodland processes would people like to see covered?

The reason I ask is that I’m a professional Arborist and woodsman and manage local estate woods and work with the Forestry Commission too and soon I will be in the woods cutting. How would you like it to be covered? Filmed, photographs or come along and get some hands on experience. The only problem I for see is twisting my partner in crime to help lol…

I throw it out to you guys to see what you think.

A forestry open day is being held in Northamptonshire at Salcey forest on Sunday 11th October, where woodland and forestry processes will be demonstrated.

all the best

TreeLore

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds good treelore :approve:
I'm old fashioned enough to like clearly written descriptions with illustrations, but I firmly suspect that anything you come up with would be appreciatively read/watched/viewed.

If you're up for organising a day ? course ? maybe speak with Tony, see what he suggests ?

cheers,
Toddy

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
very much so mate, not so much for myself (my time in the woods is for sitting peacefully) but SWMBT would find that kind of thing useful for college.
i'm as old fashioned as toddy, nicely written articles with good illustrations are what does it for me

thanks for this

stuart

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
Wow.
What a great offer.
This is the sort of thing that make's the bushcraft community such a nice place to be.

As for my self, I'm with ShaggyStu on this one, peace & quite in the wood's.
If you come up with anything I'm sure that I, along with every one else will devour it with gusto.

Thank you very much Treelore

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah i think it would be a good thing for the forum to have. IMO that kind of info/knowledge should be common among bushcrafters.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Yes please, I'd be well up for learning some tricks of the trade if you don't mind company on the 11th of October. Failing that videos or even pictures would be appreciated by a fair few on here I would imagine. Cheers fella...

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
TreeLore that sounds great, thanks for suggesting this, any information you can give in any format will be most appreciated. I personally would love to come and get some hands on experience, if it can be arranged. I look forward to seeing this thread develop.
Cheers
Nigel

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
sounds great and I for another would love to get some info regarding management etc

Unless you are very confident in front of a camera I think good clear photos with accompanying explanations are a better option personally.

but whatever you can provide will be of use I'm sure.

May 17, 2011
Lancashire
A day without learning is a day wasted. IMHO there is no substitute for hands on experience. I love Salcey Forest, I lived close by for most of my adult life (Hanslope and Wootton) and have wandered around it countless times. The last 6 years I've lived in Lancashire which has it's own beauty but I do miss Salcey Forest.

Nick

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
A day without learning is a day wasted. IMHO there is no substitute for hands on experience. I love Salcey Forest, I lived close by for most of my adult life (Hanslope and Wootton) and have wandered around it countless times. The last 6 years I've lived in Lancashire which has it's own beauty but I do miss Salcey Forest.

Nick

Tis a lovely wood with a rich history, she's a fine muse indeed. It would be great to meet some people from the forum and learn something in the process.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Please add information to the forum.

For myself, I come from the perspective of a Canadian, where huge tracts of forest are managed with relatively little management. The concept of active and frequent management of forestlands is quite foreign to us. Perhaps a history of how this type of forestry became fashionable and even necessary would add to the greater understanding.

Somewhere back in the history of the forum someone posted a lovely set of pictures describing the creation/maintenance of hedgerows that absolutely boggled my simply colonial mind. My suspicion is that you would have much more to share that would create a richer understanding of your forestlands. And perhaps, even add ideas to how forestry could be done differently on this side.

Looking forward to the instruction.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire

A forestry open day is being held in Northamptonshire at Salcey forest on Sunday 11th October, where woodland and forestry processes will be demonstrated.

all the best

TreeLore

?do you mean 11 SEPTEMBER ie next Sunday

Would love to be there but already committed elsewhere so anything you can provide - video. instructions etc would be good - especialliy the 'don'ts' as well as the 'dos'

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Certainly something I would like to learn about. Plenty of pics and clear text

It is very good of you to offer putting a tutorial up

Thanks

All the best

Craig

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I definately can't make this as I'm away at the weekend. If you do anything similar in future please let me know. Cheers, Chad

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE