Wood sorrel leaves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I spent the afternoon/evening in my local woods yesterday, carving a spoon (my first!) While looking for suitable wood I found loads of wood sorrel so picked a bit and had a nibble while walking. :)

I know wood sorrel leaves should only be eaten in very small quantities and the best use is as an addition to a salad but are there any other ways of eating the leaves? It made me wonder while brewing up later on, can the leaves be chopped fine and added to hot water to make a kind of fruity tea?

:confused:

Cheers

-Switch-

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
wood sorrel (oxalis acetosella, without a field book to hand) contains oxalic acid, and it is recommended that you dont eat a whole lot of it because of is acid content......fair enough, you would be too well if you just drank vinegar all day, but in moderation...fine. I like to put it in salads and munch it on the trail....lovely....I've used it as a tea. just infuse the leaves in water just off the boil for a while, the leaves lose their colour, and the water takes it on a little. I like it, but you do need quite a handful of the little things to get any strength to the flavour!! I've heard of people chilling it and stuff to make a kind of lemonade, never tried it....any one add to that?

stevo

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I was eating lamb last night cooked over an open fire and we had a wild plant stir-fry to accompany it, with wood sorrel amongst the plants eaten. Yum yum, cheers Pete......................Jon

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Thanks!

We had a family walk in our local (ish) woods on Saturday and there is loads up there. Will have to remember to try a handful next time!

LS

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I took this one last weekend:

DSC_0207.JPG

One of my favorite foods.

-Emile

I've heard some species of wood sorrel produce underground tubers that can be used like potatoes (O. crenata, O. tuberosa...). Although these were, I think, imported from Peru, some have spread to the wild and gone native.

My horticulture manual tells me you should leave the tubers in a paper bag for some days in the sun, which will reduce the acidity.

Anyone ever tried?

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Jon Pickett said:
I was eating lamb last night cooked over an open fire and we had a wild plant stir-fry to accompany it, with wood sorrel amongst the plants eaten. Yum yum, cheers Pete......................Jon

Ok sorrel and...........................you cant leave my mouth watering with out a full recipe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE