Wood ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
Ive been given some decent logs of this stuff, not sure what it is tho, any ideas ?

CIMG0001.jpg

CIMG0002.jpg

CIMG0003.jpg

CIMG0004.jpg

Is it worth keeping or is it firewood ? by the way it spits when burned.

Regards

Stephen

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Is it possibly chestnut? I am not sure, but chestnut has that stringy layer and spits even when dry. Does your logs split easily?

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Is it possibly chestnut? I am not sure, but chestnut has that stringy layer and spits even when dry. Does your logs split easily?

from the colour of the wood and that pithy layer I'd also say it was sweet chesnut.

assuming it is I'd say it's not much cop for firewood. We get through loads of it at work and some of the guys with log burners etc burn it, but you have to have the fire pretty hot before that stuff'll catch (I tried to make kindling from a bag of offcuts, biiiiig mistake, they just wouldn't catch).

F

FTAG

just an idea but could it be poplar? that splits easy and i think it would spit when burnt (not certain though) as its in the same family as willow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE