Wood cracking when carving spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I haven't carved many spoons, but when I do, I usually do it over a period of a few days. Sometimes when I leave a half finished spoon over a day or two, it develops cracks.

How can I prevent this from happening?

The current spoon I'm carving is from a piece of Hazel that was still fairly green when I started.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Try to keep even thicknesses all over the spoon as you carve, and don't leave one part of the spoon significantly thicker than the rest if you stop work for a while. This will enable the stresses created as the wood dries to dissipate naturally through subtle warping (but because a spoon is all curves the warping won't matter)

And make sure that you don't include any of the central pith, because radial cracks will start from there.

Last edited:

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Try to keep even thicknesses all over the spoon as you carve, and don't leave one part of the spoon significantly thicker than the rest if you stop work for a while. This will enable the stresses created as the wood dries to dissipate naturally through subtle warping (but because a spoon is all curves the warping won't matter)

And make sure that you don't include any of the central pith, because radial cracks will start from there.

What do you mean by don't include any of the central pith? Do you mean don't use the centre of the wood?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've made a few spoons that included the central pith, but only a bit of it. They worked out ok as long as the bowl was thin.

Stick it in a plastic bag with the whittlings in between sessions.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
What do you mean by don't include any of the central pith? Do you mean don't use the centre of the wood?

Yes that's right. For best results I split a branch in half and then remove a bit more of the newly exposed surface just to make sure I have removed all the spongy pith from the very centre of the branch. Some woods are more prone to cracking than others if you don't remove more of the central timber (IIRC I had an alder spoon crack at the edge of the bowl because of this)

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Yes that's right. For best results I split a branch in half and then remove a bit more of the newly exposed surface just to make sure I have removed all the spongy pith from the very centre of the branch. Some woods are more prone to cracking than others if you don't remove more of the central timber (IIRC I had an alder spoon crack at the edge of the bowl because of this)

Ah OK, I'll remember that in future. Thanks for all the tips so far guys. This spoon already has the damage done, but maybe It will work out better for the next one.

When ever I carve a spoon, generally I remove the central pith as this reduces the risk out the spoon cracking/splitting. Also save some of your shavings and put them in an air tight plastic bag (as stated below) with your spoon, this works very well for short periods of time a couple of days ideally. If you want to leave a project for a longer period, I get some paint and cover both ends (growth rings) of the projects, this helps to draw the moisture out of the wood from the side and reduces splitting and distortion.

You can always do a combination of the two.

Hope this is helpful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE