wood carving advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

4D_scumpunx

Nov 17, 2010
macclesfield
Hi all I am wondering if any of you could give me a few tips on wood carving and the best wood to use for a beginner.
I have just ordered these to start practising with.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....243957&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2395wt_989
is there any other tools that will come in handy to have around that are cheap in cost?
Dont have a work shed and my house is appart of a shared garden to sadly having to keep it to indoors in the bedroom.

any info wood help
best wood
where to get cheap wood
tools
links
photos of your projects for inspiration

many thanks
fordy

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
You'll find the Frost 106 is a good wood carving knife for about a tenner, which is hard to beat at any price. Add a frost hook knife, which will need a bit of sharpening work out of the box, but can be made very useable. Pretty much any bit of wood is good for practicing and working up the skills. I've had good service buying from http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop/, no connection just a happy customer.
A quick search on here should give you plenty of photos and inspiration.
Its a great hobby, enjoy.

Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Lime and Birch the two that ive used so far allthough not with much success. Oh well practice makes perfect lol

Could do with a carving blade ideally lets see what santa brings!

Dave

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Try to befriend someone from your local authority's parks department or tree works gang to get free wood. One of the softest is willow, making it ideal for beginners.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Those chiesels will be fine for chip carving I would think but something to slice would be good too as Dave says

Don't try to take too much off at once.
When I start to get impatient I sit back and calm down. The journey is as good as getting there so enjoy the process

Oh and have fun

Mark

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hiya fordy :) those chisels will be fine to start with, but dont expect them to last forever! as you get more profficient take a look at the 'flexcut' range of carving gouges on the web. as martini says almost any kind of wood will carve or just take a look at your local hedgerows i often use a twig the size of my little finger for a 'quick fix' :) see examples below.
oh and dont forget to protect your hand, a kevlar or at least a thick hide glove! have fun

013.jpg
[/QUOTE]

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi sawyer :)
use your imagination and just keep whittling away! for inspiration take a look at the work by tom wolfe, chris pye or my favorite, jeff phares truly gifted carvers.
i cant think of anything nicer than sitting by your fire in the woods and carving those little fellas out, they become a reminder of my stay. and all the free materials to hand too! :D

Last edited:

4D_scumpunx

Nov 17, 2010
macclesfield
hiya fordy :) those chisels will be fine to start with, but dont expect them to last forever! as you get more profficient take a look at the 'flexcut' range of carving gouges on the web. as martini says almost any kind of wood will carve or just take a look at your local hedgerows i often use a twig the size of my little finger for a 'quick fix' :) see examples below.
oh and dont forget to protect your hand, a kevlar or at least a thick hide glove! have fun

013.jpg
[/QUOTE]

yeh i am looking to start of doing basic carving to get the hang of it, but will take time on anything i do.
these tools will just be my beginners set untill i get a bit of money and start to collect some better tools.

ps. them carvings you have done are really good. i love them

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Hi all,

Those wood spirits are pretty sweet.

I just finished my first carving, using just a knife and posted it here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65054 and I was wondering if there was a single best all-round chisel gouge to accompany my knife. I found it quite difficult to use only the knife and think I would rather also have a single versatile tool, than a whole set and not use half of them.

Apologies if I have high-jacked the thread. I thought 4D_scumpunx would be interested.

Cheers

Mark

xylaria

holly is a good wood, very nice and soft, consistant grain as well.
DSC00778.jpg

I have an assortment of tools. Mainly I use a frost mora, a gouge chisel, a vainer, and a flex cut pelcan. The sharping stone I use is the japense wetshone from axminster tools and some cheap diamond flat ones from lidl. I have seen similar for about a tenner on line, they are in sets of three and are backed with coloured plastic.

Dont buy sets, you wont use most of them. Buy one tool at a time, you can learn to carve with just a knife and it doesn't need to cost it just needs to be sharp. Moras and flexcuts are good, but I cant get on with their spoon knives personally. Carving is like fishing, you see lots of kit when you just need very simple things.

Jan 26, 2009
fermanagh N. Ireland
You will find those chisles good for fine detail but they usualy come roughly ground and will need sharpened and polished so they will cut the wood instead of tearing it. Try a few different grades of wet and dry sandpaper from 80 to 400.Just use them as they are no water needed, you can fold them to make a smaller sheet size or roll them for the inside of the gouges but be careful to keep it flat with the chisle on the inside of the gouge and not to sand a bevel on the inside.
Good luck

4D_scumpunx

Nov 17, 2010
macclesfield
well, started messing around with the chissels i got.
i advise people not to buy them,
there blunt, if not blunt they are bent out of shape and look like somebody has tried to chissel rock with them,
2 of them have allmost already snapped off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE