Wood burner from an old gas bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Would this work with an old Ali. beer keg? id like to make a small patio heater or is the Ali. not upto the heat.

Dave

Even better if you can find a stainless steel one! Personally I don't have a problem using "found" kegs eg dumped in ravines, rivers, etc.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
As a brewer I have a problem with you stealing containers that have been dumped whether that may be in rivers, ravines or skips.
It doesn't matter where you find it... It still belongs to the brewery. Bear in mind it is highly unlikely... Actually inconceivable, that the brewer would have dumped his or her container as they are so valuable. Think more along the lines of unscrupulous publicans, dodgy scrapmen that realise they could be fined thousands for stealing containers or more simply bored kids that have a moments fun rolling barrels down a hill into a river. There are innumerable reasons as to why our cask go missing and we know where every single ine gets delivered to. To that end what makes it right to punish the brewer by stealing his or her property? Please, do the honest thing and phone kegwatch on the free phone number and help to get the container back to its owner.
0808 100 1945

Last edited:

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Bbdave, unless you bought the keg/cask from someone legitimately then it still belongs to the brewery or the administrators supposing the brewery went bust. At 75 quid each casks are our most valuable asset and are actually worth more than the beer in them. Rather than harbour potentially hot property (no pun intended) kegwatch offer a no questions asked means of the container making its way back to its rightful owner. Oh, and for reference, publicans do not own the containers, casks, kegs that many seem ready to give away... They are the guardians and are responsible for looking after the container that they have been loaned.

Doesn't the same apply to gas bottles?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
From the Calor website, not sure if other suppliers do the same, but I'd assume they do.

When you buy a gas cylinder from us, you’ll be asked to pay for and agree to the Calor Cylinder Refill Agreement which legally states that the cylinder always remains the property of Calor Gas. When it’s empty, you can simply exchange it for a pre-filled cylinder within the same category group, details of which can be found below.

Altagas went bankrupt a while back for anyone's info.

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
From the Calor website, not sure if other suppliers do the same, but I'd assume they do.

Altagas went bankrupt a while back for anyone's info.

Yes Altagas went bump a long time ago due to the boss being a fraudster - I checked this before I cut the thing up and as such presumed that me paying the old allotment owner £30 for everything on it meant that the bottles were now my sole possession as the company who provided them no longer exists.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
7941c8ca80c247f4fcf23c47eea905f7.jpg

Here's mine in action ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
Yes Altagas went bump a long time ago due to the boss being a fraudster - I checked this before I cut the thing up and as such presumed that me paying the old allotment owner £30 for everything on it meant that the bottles were now my sole possession as the company who provided them no longer exists.

It's the property of the official receiver then......oooo you stole of the queen Im telling ;-)

Dave

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
It's the property of the official receiver then......oooo you stole of the queen Im telling ;-)

Dave
Wouldn't be the queen..... It would be the suppliers that Alta gas owed money too, the poor sods that have suffered not being paid by a big company going bust and not paying their bills on time. The receivers work to liquidate the failed company's assets in order to pay off the outstanding bills.... Nothing to do with lining the queens pockets.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
At some point it's all wound up - then anything "lost" unclaimed or binned belongs to no-one. BTW the queen and her family regularly steal plenty off us - anyone ever looked up the ORIGINAL national debt? NEVER repaid...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE