Wood burner from an old gas bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
So we recently got an allotment (thread with pictures in the homestead sub forum) and the previous owner had left 2 empty gas bottles.

I've always wanted to make a wood burner and decided to use one of the bottles to make a wood burner for use in heating the summerhouse as required when we are at the allotment.

Before I started I had a look on the Internet and there were many many different ways of doing this, some with elaborate welding and some simple. I decided to go for a simpler option to test it out. I do have an arc welder but chose to go no welds on this.

IF YOU INTEND TO DO THIS, REMOVE THE VALVE AND FILL THE BOTTLE WITH WATER FOR 2 DAYS. THEN EMPTY THE BITTLE AND LEAVE UPSIDE DOWN OVERNIGHT.

I started by marking out my door using tape, drilling holes in the corners to start my jigsaw and then cutting out the door.
14786c70f6d8a04c8030364e0188851b.jpg

3c54f7d04786d32f36b331d47186da56.jpg

Once the door was cut I then marked the hinge locations and drilled the holes. The hinges were fixed to the door using M5 bolts.
4ba2a5ca621e19ec4da36bab7e15383e.jpg

Next was to drill the main bottle for the hinges and fit them along with the door.
babba61260da0789025ae535e7798005.jpg

Next was to cut a hole on the back of the bottle for the chimney/flue connection and drill vent holes under the lowest point of the fire to allow air in under the fire. I have decided to use a steel can as the flue point and will fit a flexible flue once it's sites in the summer house.

Once this was done the steel can was twist fitted into the hole. I intentionally cut the hole smaller than the can diameter to make it a very tight fit. A hammer is useful at this point.

The finished article
6aac90dea317a971e73782ce98d1576e.jpg

7db575773d3ee1cb741a1c888c7e59fe.jpg

2182b214ef5ab2e8295ae34903620579.jpg

6da534777b215011229f3465450202bb.jpg

The final thing to do now is to take this up to the allotment and set it alight to allow the paint to burn off, then fit it into the summerhouse and pipe the flue out.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Just need to fit some sort of handle/latch to the door and I think that'd be it. Should put out enough heat to heat the summerhouse and keep us toasty. May even at some point add a hot plate for the kettle

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
On a February afternoon/evening mine, when filled with surplus charcoal briquettes (alight - natch), was too hot to sit within 6 feet of, outdoors. They can be exceptionally warm, try it outside before you fill it with fuel inside ;)

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have just seen an email from Alta Gas asking if you know anyone with surplus bottles, could they please have them back for re-filling......ooops!

Could it have been made upside down, then you would have the top as a stand, then the underside with a little persuasion with a club hammer could make a flat hot plate?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Charcoal in something like this is a bit on the far side, wouldn't you say?

Not really, they'll burn pretty much anything you have at hand that's combustible - paraffin used for cleaning, old veg oil, oily rags etc. It all goes in, occasionally some ash needs to be taken out.

The briquettes had been in the shed for years, brought round by a well meaning relative to barbeque over but never used - surplus to requirements, not military surplus.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I have just seen an email from Alta Gas asking if you know anyone with surplus bottles, could they please have them back for re-filling......ooops!

Could it have been made upside down, then you would have the top as a stand, then the underside with a little persuasion with a club hammer could make a flat hot plate?

It could have been but it was very precarious standing it upside to drain the bottle of water so o wouldn't want to try it that way.

I have see. Some whereby the top portion has been removed with a grinder and then a hot plate welded onto the flate

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
7e2f0849a0825bcb9897af7ab8b034b7.jpg

974fecd20cb64debb10c5061c1ff21ae.jpg

Fired it up tonight and gave it the first run. Quite smokey at dirt until it got a proper burn and radiates the heat well, especially when left to ember down.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
If you fit a longer heavier flue it will draw better and heat up faster. Mine has about 4 feet of cast iron drainpipe attached which worked a treat:

[video=youtube;ScXKOeyTKQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScXKOeyTKQ8[/video]

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Excellent job, I've always wanted one of those for the patio.

A bloke on BB makes some lovely themed ones, he did a Darth Vader face, but this is my favourite:

imagejpg1_zps28eacf91.jpg

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Bbdave, unless you bought the keg/cask from someone legitimately then it still belongs to the brewery or the administrators supposing the brewery went bust. At 75 quid each casks are our most valuable asset and are actually worth more than the beer in them. Rather than harbour potentially hot property (no pun intended) kegwatch offer a no questions asked means of the container making its way back to its rightful owner. Oh, and for reference, publicans do not own the containers, casks, kegs that many seem ready to give away... They are the guardians and are responsible for looking after the container that they have been loaned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE