Winter predictions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Just a bit of fun!!

What are your thoughts for the remainder of the winter?

Cold, Wind, Snow, Rain,

And why do you think so?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
The rowans were full with berries this year, that means little snow before christmas. It does however mean nothing for the time after that.

The trend up here the latest year is that the winter is delayed, pushed into late December, but lasts longer into the spring.

I believe that it is the melting on Greenland that does this. My unqualified prediction is a temporary shutdown of the Northern part of the Gulfstream in February as in 2004, but this time lasting three weeks instead of two.

Late springs are good for the berry crops, good for me, the capercaillie and the bear.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Warm and dry :D

How do i know this?

Because i used my BCUK discount at Cotswold to get a North Face waterproof duvet jacket and just to spite me so i can't wear it mother nature will make sure it's warm and dry. :lmao:

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Warm and WET, at least here in Cumbria. Wet, wet, wet and wetter. :(
The forecasts I've heard are for things to cool down in the New Year and the possibility of the coldest February since 1991 :eek:
A bit of snow on the fells would be nice, make a change from wading through a foot of water every time I walk the dog, poor bugger'll be growing fins next :D

Bonzo

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Pignut said:
Just a bit of fun!!

What are your thoughts for the remainder of the winter?

Cold, Wind, Snow, Rain,

And why do you think so?

Are you a spy from Ladbrookes trying to use new methods of rigging the bets?

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
lots of warmish and wet weather to start, then maybe a bit colder and wet through january.

possibly a wee bit of snow in february and then freakish frost, hail and blizzards in march.

this will come to a grinding halt at the start of april when it will be blisterringly hot and dry. resulting in swarms of killer bees and man size midgies.

i know this because my brother knows zeus from when he built his conservatory (my brother is a joiner).

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
Ok, I'll bite ;)

Warm until late January, with heavy frosts kicking in about mid January.
February will be very cold with severe snow storms spreading south.
The cold snap (as they say on the waether forecast LOL) will last until the second week of March then the weather will improve only to dive again for a week or so. The entire wintery weather will disipate towards the end of March with occasional wintery showers but a trend towards warmer wetter conditions.

The Oak was in leaf too long, the ash has held its keys, Hawthorn is still peppered with haws and there are still bumble bees flitting around on the warmer days. The winter is a little way off yet, but when it comes ;)

Greywolf

p.s. the Autumn gales we usually have around early October are currently trying to make my neighbours fence panels become intimate with my garden shed. Winter is late, but it'll still pack a whallop.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wet! :( Wet! :( and more wet :( dreich and gloomy 'til February, colder in March and then the sky lightens again and we won't mind the damp and cold so much :)
I'm just home from Inverness and it's taken nearly six hours instead of just over three. The rails are flooded, Kingussie, Dalwhinnie and Killin are flooded, Scotrail laid on buses to take us to Perth to catch a train to Glasgow.....and the bus driver wasn't sure he'd get through :rolleyes: I'm having dinner at my desk :eek:

Why wet?, 'cos my joints are just sort of tingly not aching :cool:
All the comments about berries are true here too though.

Cheers,
Toddy

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I reckon we could be in for a cold snap in the new year. My partner is a keen gardener and all her 'sources' are saying it's going to be harsh...

But then I'm sure they said that last year ;)

Patrick

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will go with warm and dry - I have insulated waterproof to review for a mag - or possibly cold and wet as this will push the rivers up to a point where my mates will not go canoeing - or warm and wet as this will make mountain walking in full waterproofs a sweaty misery - or even warm and dry as "climate change " bites and winter has now become summer - or yet again it could be cold and dry and we all have fun in the outdoors.......nah! too much to hope for!
John

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Alchemist said:
Are you a spy from Ladbrookes trying to use new methods of rigging the bets?

Damn!!!!! Run they are onto me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup IMO the seasons are moving back. Summer lasted until October, so I expect winter to bite in Febuary. I'm expecting a very cold snap and a thin dollop of snow down here, which will panic everone and close the roads, as nupties don't know how to drive, and an inch of slow will stop them.

Rich

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'll get back here in the first week of January and I expect the snow to come in within a week of that. It will hopefully stick around until mid-March.
Why is winter moving later?
I thought seasons went from equinox/solstice to the next one - do they?
Something like
Winter 21 Dec-21 Mar
Spring 21Mar- 21Jun
Summer 21 Jun - 21 Sept
Autumn 21 sept to 21 Dec

I've got the dates slightly wrong and wikipedia will tell you where. I'd welcome someone knowledgable to explain the whole thing!!

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I don't think it will be as cold as last year in Germany but that will probably mean more snow. Its only just started to settle into colder weather now -4 at night but between 10 and 15 degrees in the day. One day last week it was 18 degrees :eek: . Its just not normal for December.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
South Wales, I predict, no snow, very wet, early morning ground frosts but above temperature in the days. We don't get a real winter anymore

H

Heathenpeddler

Cold, wet, slushy and muddy. Some frosts and that's as close to snow as we get. Haven't had enough for a snowman in years in Northants

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I'm expecting winter proper to start sometime around Imbolc (around the first week of Feb)... I'm really starting to think that 8 seasons (divided by the 2 solstices, 2 equinoxes, and 4 cross-quarter festivals) actually reflects our weather better than the 4 seasons we normally think of. The only problem is what to call them...

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Im going to say unseasonably warm till just after Christmas, then the gulf stream will cut out plunging northern Europe into an icy hell . Followed by a massive meteorite impact in April triggering off the super volcano in yellow stone around mid may. All this combined corssing a world wide ice age and the end of the world as we know it :eek: .

Man I've been watching Horizon way to much :rolleyes: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE