Winge and Moan - video and reviews

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Don't get me started! What a subject, just this week I dropped someone a message asking them to reconsider how they use the forums because dumping vids and then the odd comment to push their thing along winds me up..

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think this threads being a bit cheeky, unless you've tried doing one yourself.

Give us a list then of who's worth watching then?.......

70The Professor
englishmaninontario
Kiwi Dude
Semaj Ocelot (only because he's my grandson)
NRA

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't get me started! What a subject, just this week I dropped someone a message asking them to reconsider how they use the forums because dumping vids and then the odd comment to push their thing along winds me up..

I think if people are using your forum to drive traffic to their ewechoob channel or blog then you should tell them to take a hike! Its like turning up to a party, inviting all the guests to a different party, then leaving.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I like the fact that the internet has democratised the media in general, its given it to the masses and that's where its staying.
Not blown away by the "Unwrapping" ones. That's not a review at all, but I just love the fact that some random bloke from say, Iowa has made a video showing a products good and bad points and put it up on Youtube.

Traditional journalism is dead, this site and declining magazine sales is proof of that.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Traditional journalism is dead, this site and declining magazine sales is proof of that.

To be fair, traditional magazines and newspapers aren't all having declining sales; they (many of them) have are just switching from selling printed copies to selling digital copies. It's not necessarily the professional journalism that's dying, just the delivery media.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've made two instructional videos, I believe they are the kind of brief and succinct video that is required. One I posted here in a thread on Polish laavus. Luckily my daughter is quite a good camerawoman.

[video=youtube;qV9qRDSSOZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV9qRDSSOZk[/video]

Just had a chance to watch your video Mr. Kelly. Good presentation, concise and clear what your doing. After years of going to new demonstrations of tent where reps are putting them up to show off new models you can get quite jaded to poor performance but I enjoyed how well you did it. And you pitched it quickly and well. You'd be amazed at the amount of folk whos job it is fudge that and put them up squint.
Also good after years of talking to you by thread to be able to put an inner voice to your words when reading them. Just have to get the rest of the Joan of Arc crew to post up videos now. :D Though I did see a short video of your functional mute forum brother Biker the other week.
Good stuff and I'd certainly watch more from your good self.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I think if people are using your forum to drive traffic to their ewechoob channel or blog then you should tell them to take a hike! Its like turning up to a party, inviting all the guests to a different party, then leaving.

Not being funny but if a website owner can't emotionally deal with the odd person clicking away to look at something else on the interweb, there is a problem. Nobody ever got told off for encouraging people to log off and go outside.

I have done two reviews of things and linked them here. I didn't copy and paste the content because I had already spent time on formatting it all somewhere else. I'm not selling something or trying to make a business but someone enjoying my time and perhaps someone about to buy a Hilleberg Tarp might find a review useful. It's my content so I do get a say where it goes.

That said, some plonker who fancies themselves a youtube celebrity (or worse, a subject authority) and decides to start posting ridiculous videos based on their questionable skill and experience, then yes, I am against that.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Totally different thing that Squidders, you participate in the forum. An occasional link to something else, no problem. We have members here who only ever come on the site to push their latest YouTube video. They don't participate in the rest of the forum at all.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's not an "emotional" thing, but it is a practical thing.

If the video isn't shown here then Mods have to go and visit elsewhere to check that aforementioned video is suitable viewing for the whole 'family friendly' ethos. Not everyone has fast dial up (or enough oomph in their computer (techno I am not) to download videos either).
BcUK is deliberately kept as safe viewing in home, school or public place.

If you post a link we ask that the video, or photos, are shown here, on site.

That's been the standard rule of thumb for a while. Youtube is not always a 'family friendly' environment, nor are many blogs.

This isn't getting at you Joe, but there is a an ongoing issue with folks trying to post their links and not in any other way contribute to the forum. Some of those links have been most decidedly no suitable. Most are just trying to drive traffic to their own sites….as BR said.

I'm a little snowed under just now and only logging on for a few minutes at a time, but I'm sure the Boss can be persuaded to post clarification.

atb,
M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Not being funny but if a website owner can't emotionally deal with the odd person clicking away to look at something else on the interweb, there is a problem. Nobody ever got told off for encouraging people to log off and go outside..."

Not quite the same thing, a link to something of interest (article or video) posted by an established and contributing member is fine.

A link posted by someone who barely contributes and whose intentions appear to be boost his own 'stats' is frowned upon.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm with Toddy on this one. I'm quite a new Mod. I was really chuffed to be able to give something back to a site that helped keep me sane in some of the greyer times when I wasn't well.
I don't have net access at home, using my phone to access just now. I can do some modding from it. But to have the whole gamut I need to go into town or use a friends connection. It makes it easier if folks host things on site. Safer too as bad content is easier to filter out. I love the erudite and wordy nature of BCUK. Folks talk and I have no worries about friends kids seeing and learning from a great bunch of folks.
Most folks give back by taking part, why be a selfish egotist and drain folk away to further their own selfish needs?
These are my views on it. Not paid for by BCUK unless payment has been a safe and friendly information store thats taught me a lot.
One of the things that's seen me through personal and work life is the word fealty. My interpretation of it is a responsibility to each other. So I just want folk to give and take in equal measure.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
folks trying to post their links and not in any other way contribute to the forum.

I'm an admin on a mycology forum and this to me is the definition of spam, if a member keeps bothering me with this type of crap they get a polite request to stop and if they don't heed i delete them

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Not being funny but if a website owner can't emotionally deal with the odd person clicking away to look at something else on the interweb, there is a problem. Nobody ever got told off for encouraging people to log off and go outside.

I have done two reviews of things and linked them here. I didn't copy and paste the content because I had already spent time on formatting it all somewhere else. I'm not selling something or trying to make a business but someone enjoying my time and perhaps someone about to buy a Hilleberg Tarp might find a review useful. It's my content so I do get a say where it goes.

That said, some plonker who fancies themselves a youtube celebrity (or worse, a subject authority) and decides to start posting ridiculous videos based on their questionable skill and experience, then yes, I am against that.

Not being funny, but it's nothing to do with emotions, you got your last paragraph on target for the issue but the first one way off.

I don't think we've ever had words with people that actually contribute to the site, the issue is always with people that join just to post a link to a vid or a blog elsewhere or regularly jsut put up vids they've made with no other contributions, that to me is using the site only for self promotion and self gratification.

As for you OP John, I think there's a place for both, well written reviews and articles and vids etc.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As for you OP John, I think there's a place for both, well written reviews and articles and vids etc.

I agree - there is nothing wrong with the well written stuff and the good reviews ... it is finding the good video reviews, that are well made and informative, amongst the dross which prevails on the interweb... but I still find stills and writing easier to look at and digest ...

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got to apologise to Squidders, I've asked him to post up something rather than link it and he's a active member that been around for 11 years, I'd said above that I'd not done such with people that contribute to the site, but I have.

What's good is that he sent me a nicely worded and polite correction which got me thinking a bit about how we work through all this stuff, not that it's a big deal but it does impact us all to a certain degree, ultimately it's a bout good communication, if there's something glaringly obvious raise it with the mods, if there's an injustice done, just politely raise it with the mods, we try to keep the place clean and of a certain standard but it's hard work and you all contribute hugely in keeping this place on track so thanks to you all.

What I get out of this all is that we need to get more good quality content up on the site, written reviews with pictures, we need to start selecting good vids to highlight etc and then there's more balance...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE