Windproof/Showerproof Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Wondering if you folks can help me look for a good smock for bushcraft.
I have had a look at a few, the Swedish snow smock, whilst cheap and great I find the small way too large for what I am looking for, you would be able to fit 2 of me in it comfortably. I would love a ventile smock but it is out of the price range the now.

I am looking for one that is: showerproof/windproof, cotton, preferebly in olive green or natural colours and for around £20-50.

Any ideas anyone? :eek:

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi Pandabean
I seem to remember a thread a while ago about Titan fishing smocks, may be worth googling them. I'd have a look for you but I'm supposed to be working !!

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Ive just got one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SAS-S...pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item43ab7aa66a

Im really pleased with it, its cotton/polyester gabardine and has been great at keeping the wind out recently, not sure if its showerproof but Im sure it could be treated with nikwax. I was after an over the head smock with kangaroo pocket, but had trouble finding one, I did get an nbc one but kept getting covered in charcoal every time I wore it and found it awkward to get on and off, so am really glad I found this one as its perfect for my needs and cheap and a good service from the seller (no affiliation, just a very happy customer).

Just checked the sizes they do and it seems 38" chest is the smallest, hope this helps you out.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you are a dabbler with needle & thread, try giving Talbot weaving a call, they sometimes have seconds quality ventile or "Etaproof" as the next best thing is called. The seconds name comes only from the dyeing process and its hard to see why!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Paul I have heard some not so good things about those smocks on e-bay that they aren't put together to well, fall apart/rip at seams etc.
Kepis, are they made of a cotton type material. If they will be ok for general bushcrafting then it looks good if it is still available in one colour.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Paul I have heard some not so good things about those smocks on e-bay that they aren't put together to well, fall apart/rip at seams etc.
Kepis, are they made of a cotton type material. If they will be ok for general bushcrafting then it looks good if it is still available in one colour.

A friend has one and it's held up pretty well over the last year.... There are probably various examples on ebay though.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
What about something from the Helikon range - their level 5 soft shell jacket while not a smock is said to be very good and at about £54.99 is just about your price range

www.sofmilitary.co.uk even have some in smaller sizes in their sale

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

I dont think it's cotton, more likely to be man made by the feel of it, nothing on the label to say what it is im afraid, other than "Made in Cornwall", ive used mine in some pretty horrendous weather and never got wet or sweaty.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Paramo smocks or buffalo if you are doing lots of walking, the fabric is tougher than it looks but I'd not wear mine for woodland work.

How about a Ridgeline Flood - around £40, the jackets are really good - like Swazi's but cheaper!

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
What about something from the Helikon range - their level 5 soft shell jacket while not a smock is said to be very good and at about £54.99 is just about your price range

www.sofmilitary.co.uk even have some in smaller sizes in their sale

In their re-enactors' section under the US WWII on pg 2 they've a reproduction M42 Jump Jacket (ie US patatroops in the Normandy landings) - looks good, and they mention they are small fitting (for Pandabean). £49'99 - might be tempted myself to get one - anyone used them before?

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent

Ive only had it for a couple of weeks, seems as good quality as another army surplus jacket Ive already got. Time will tell I suppose but Im really happy with it at the moment.

Paramo smocks or buffalo if you are doing lots of walking, the fabric is tougher than it looks but I'd not wear mine for woodland work.

How about a Ridgeline Flood - around £40, the jackets are really good - like Swazi's but cheaper!

Why wouldn't you wear it for woodland work? Would that also be general bushy things?
It does look good from what I can see of it.

The ridgeline flood looks pretty good but it says its a fleecy material with a waterproof membrane.
I was planning to wear this over a Bison Bush Shirt or a wool top so I was just looking for something to keep the wind out.

As for sizing, I am about a 37" chest, sometimes I find a small is fine, other times I fit a medium. Also the arms seem to vary from jacket to jacket some are fine but others are about an inch or so too long.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Thanks for the suggestions.

What about Paramo? I don't really know much about the fabric (any good near a fire/sparks) but I found this, just on the outside of my upper limit of the budget....

http://www.naturallyparamo.co.uk/Ga...-Windproof-Smocks/6794-/Fuera-Windproof-Smock

I've got the very same Fuera smock and love it. Packs down fairly small, doesn't weigh much, so fits nicely in the daypack to put on incase of a shower, or it gets colder. If you shop around, you can get it for under £50. I think Go Outdoors had some last year for £35 but only limited stock

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Why wouldn't you wear it for woodland work? Would that also be general bushy things?
It does look good from what I can see of it.

The ridgeline flood looks pretty good but it says its a fleecy material with a waterproof membrane.
I was planning to wear this over a Bison Bush Shirt or a wool top so I was just looking for something to keep the wind out.

The paramo just feels a bit lightweight, I ripped my old buffalo special 6 across the front when it caught on a nail head, the paramo feels like it would do the same and at £100+ I'd prefer not to risk it and keep it for the hills!

There are some good lightweight Deerhunter smocks around.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Have a butchers at these:

http://www.climaxtackle.com/trakker/pertex_puffa_jacket.htm

I've had the pertex sweatshirt since last Winter & it's as good as Buffalo (IMO) at half the price - you get a hood with it too. I've also got the Puffa Jacket - a tad bulky with the fleece lined pockets but excellent value for money. No connection etc. Some of the gear sold on the fishing websites is really good stuff nowadays & you can pick up some great deals. Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE