Windproof but breathable inner tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Been thinking on this for a couple of weeks.
I don't mind camping out in Winter but until I get the hang of hammocking swaddled up like a chrysalis, I'm all for using my tent.

Thing is the tent is cold. It's double skin and good bucketed groundsheet means it's dry enough, but the wind and cold air fair whistles through the fabric of the inner tent.

My Uncle says that in WW2 they were issued double skinned blow up tents for Winter use. He said that that insulation made a tremendous difference but the tents were heavy, too heavy to carry but needed transport, and that their blankets got very damp in them and were collected and taken away to be dried off elsewhere every couple of days.

Does anyone know of a commercial tent that has a windproof and breathable inner tent ?
I reckon that if I have any heat source at all inside it would be pretty snug so long as I can stop the windchill.

cheers,
Toddy

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Toddy,

Many winter tents have a valance around the outside of the flysheet. With this weighted down with snow or rocks, it'll prevent the wind whistling through to the inner. These tents often have adjustable vents at the apex, allowing you to customise the ventilation to suit your needs.

All the best for '10, Michael.

Overlander30

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2009
Lancashire
I think it depends on what you're camping for. are you walking/camping? canoe camping? car camping? as the cumbrian points out, there are loads of winter tents with snow valances, which in this country, you can juust attach clips and peg them down to create a pretty windproof solution, but you still need some ventilation no matter what. If weight isnt an issue, my solution is to have both a tent with a snow skirt (a helsport lavvu) with a stove in it, which is simply fantastic, especially in sub zero temps. Cant be beaten.

your comment about hammock/chrysallis - i'm 6'5 and have no chrysallis type problems at all, in fact there is so much room in the hammock i have its positively luxurious (clark NX-250). with its storm shelter its roomy but still very cosy in terms of warmth since your sleeping area isnt open to the wind like it is in many other hammocks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE