"Will to continue" - training ideas needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Hi all,

Later this year a friend of mine is undertaking the task of rowing the atlantic as part of a two man crew. In addition to all the excellent training he'll be getting from people who have done it in the past, he has asked me to try and come up with some "challenges" that will test his will to continue, whilst also probing some of the survival aspects.

Our first adventure was simple - going to a farm and bashing fence posts into the ground for 24 hours without any more than a 15 minute break every two hours.

The second challenge is currently being designed and I would appreciate your collective input. I want to try and combine two aspects:
1) Will to continue (when the going get's tough, he doesn't just give in etc.)
2) Performing mental tasks when physically exhausted (for example he will have to navigate throughout the trip, and if things go pete tong, chances are they will go wrong at night, when you're totally shattered and least expect it. It's then that you need your wits about you)

I know it's hard to artificially create "day 30" of an endurance challange, but are there any techniques that you can think of that may help - tasks, drills, etc?

I've got some ideas, and will post them after a few replies, but I don't want them to sway the ideas I get from the wider group.

One thing I'm thinking of to get you all started is a "pocket drill" that someone mentioned whilst I was in the Arctic on a BCUK expedition. It involves checking that your pockets are always done up. So I've come up with a set of forfeits we will both have to do if either of us catch our pockets open. In his world, it would then help to ensure that he secures things - as he's only going to have two sets of rowing gloves - loose one over the side following a freak wave and you're on your last pair!

Cheers,

Ag

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
How about carrying water in a reindeer's scrotum?

Well I was being serious.

For a point of clarification though, we only have up to two days at a time to spare for any challenge.

I don't see how two days of anything is going to stretch you anything like enough to be comparable with the kind of adventure we're talking about here.

I'm on my second house.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
I don't see how two days of anything is going to stretch you anything like enough to be comparable with the kind of adventure we're talking about here.
It won't be as hard, granted, but that doesn't mean you should not try.

I believe 2 days is enough to reach physical fatigue for anyone, no matter how superhuman. The idea would be to then add in items on top of that such as navigational/maths excercises, things like the "pocket drill" menitoned in the post etc. to test function under stress. In addition to the two days, we usually try and start these things after a week at work, coming directly from work on the Friday night and starting then.

The reindeer's scrotum was a quote from you (if you are the same Ged?) that you gave us in the Arctic BCUK trip about 14 months ago :) It was meant in good humour.

Cheers for the house idea though - although I don't think that's possible in the time :)

Last edited:

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
How about the fan dance? With a set of five math questions everytime you reach a peak. Physical exertion with a mental test.

You must have read my mind! :)

This is very similar to what I have planned actually - but instead of having the maths questions at the top, I had thought about navigational "dead reconing" excercises, with adjustments for declination and "compass error". This is specifically to help him with the kind of maths he's going to need to know for navigation to the Yachtmaster level. I also thought of doing it in the dark, but increasing the time allowed from 4 hours to about 6 (as he doesn't really have to be a runner to row the Atlantic).

Excellent start though!

Cheers,

Ag

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Overnight bike ride, starting friday, finishing Sun night, only allowed to sleep in hedges, unmarked route, find your own way round.

It's a good test of keeping up energy, having to force yourself to eat, getting to understand the cycles of losing motivation, how to overcome small irritations.

Google 'audax'. There are organisations that run the rides.

E

ex member coconino

I met Jason Lewis once, a man with a thousand yard stare and a calm, quiet centre. Whatever tests you come up with, I hope your friend finds he has the strength for his adventure and the will to see it through. He will join a small group of extraordinary people that most of us can only ever dream of emulating.

For those who don't know: Jason Lewis on Wikipedia (I took the picture, by the way) and his expedition360 web site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Thanks coconino and mrcharly - some really great inspiration and ideas. I especially like the idea of the complete bike ride, as both he and I are into endurance cycling so this is something we could look to do!

Cheers,

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The biggest test of that that I have ever known is the "Endurance Course" that RMTC use. ALl the usual malarky - run at the beginning carrying heavy kit, get soaked via a submerged tunnel at the start of the course yada yada. The clever bit though is when you are on your **** at the end and running up to the bus to go back for some scran and a a shower, the bus drives off - and you have to run back. That unexpected sickener - that real life throws from time to time when you are shattered - is a real test. I know you can't do that, but some "extra effort required" right at the end?

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
For a point of clarification though, we only have up to two days at a time to spare for any challenge.

Some fellow recently posted about a 2 day challenge with minimal kit (there are a couple of threads).

It sounded very gruelling, both physically and pschologically. something like that coupled with logic puzzles before you can eat maybe.

Best of luck.

Alex

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Thanks for the ideas all - here are some of my own.

Please feel free to provide feedback - however harsh it may be, or additional ideas to add to the list!

Event:
Navigation exercise over by the Brecon Beacons, starting after dark - probably about 10pm on a Friday after a week at work.
• At the start of the event "You are going out for x hours, pick what you need?" Expected list will be written - everything missed from the list = 1/2 extra litre of water carried to the top. Everything deemed unnecessary = 1/2 a litre of water extra carried to the top
• Navigation to a fixed waypoint done by the leader, with the follower (person being trained) wearing sunglasses at night. At navigational point, sunglasses are removed, and follower is given 90 seconds to identify location on the map using a compass. 15 minute walk following leader, one punishment (to exhaust) and immediately after exercise is repeated. This continues until location is identified. Clues will be given after one hour. Follower is then told to navigate to a grid reference using dead reckoning whilst wearing sunglasses, bypassing hazards. Accuracy is checked to map every 15 minutes on return.

After returning from the first challenge, get back into car, unpack gear and "get a couple of hours rest before returning home". Interrupted after 60 seconds with this:
Second time: "Take three out of this set" rush exercise - given ~ 45 seconds to decide from a list of 6 items. Person will need four items; not having an item at a specific time will lead to punishment (guarantees one punishment minimum). For example half way through assignee will be asked for first aid kit as user has theoretically fallen over and broken leg. All necessary kit will be carried by other person to ensure safety. Expecting good pocket drill punishment after this as well! (see below)
Second time: Person cannot use trails and all navigation must be performed by map, compass and memorised grid references (taken directly from the links you gave me above - thanks!). Grid references will be said three times at the beginning - they will be 6 figure grid references and include three waypoints (so 18 digits in total). Each will be divided into two, (lat and long) with a punishment for each one forgotten.

Drills:
• Pocket drill: one pocket left open = punishment for both people, more than one pocket left open = punishment for both, with bias on the offender. Compasses, pencils, notebooks and maps will be retained in different pockets and must be replaced in the same pocket each time. Changing pockets for any item leads to punishment. Every pocket will have two items to illustrate the need to keep closed.
• "Take a bearing challenge”: both people take a bearing as fast as possible, make adjustments for declination and then recite. Winner is person who gets location within 5m of actual, or if tied, then fastest time. Can only be used on return journey - obviously.
• Inventory challenge: Q&A on location of items in pockets without checking (map, compass, pen, etc...)
• Location Recite: Grid reference memorisation check after each return waypoint (“What was the grid reference of your last waypoint?”)

Punishments/ "educational moments", all designed to drain physically and to be completed as a punishment or before any mental task:
"Duck walk" (i.e. low waddle with rucksack on)
Push-ups with rucksack on back
Squats holding rucksack out at an angle
Pet rock throw (pick up a rock, throw it and pick it up again - repeat for 15 minutes). Loss of rock leads to another punishment.
Buddy carry - 10m then switch over (may not do this one!)
Sit-ups holding rucksack above head
Low spider crawl with rucksack

E

ex member coconino

Blimey, I'm knackered and scared just reading that!

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
One word of caution, when you undertake these tasks, take along a driver and pay for them to sit in a B&B reading a book all weekend. That way the two of you don't become a statistic having piled in on the M4 on the way home! Glyn

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
One word of caution, when you undertake these tasks, take along a driver and pay for them to sit in a B&B reading a book all weekend. That way the two of you don't become a statistic having piled in on the M4 on the way home! Glyn
Good point, well made.

I'll ensure that there is 8 hours of sleep and recovery built into the event - and the drive is only 3 hours, which we will probably include a break in as well!

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I fully understand the psychological "let down" that British Red eludes to in the RMTC's "missed bus" exercise. There are few things that train the individual's "will to continue" better than completing an extended arduous mission, end EX being called at 3 AM, while waiting for the birds to lift you back to garrison. Only to be told that the birds are grounded (planned, unbeknownst to you) and all you have are leather personnel carriers to hump the 25 miles back. Those tetering on the edge begin to falter. That is precisely the point at which very good leadership has to expose itself for the group and personal strength of heart for the individual to succeed. If you are mentally conditioned you ruck up and accept the challenge with an FIDO attitude. The further successful completion of the add on task serves to strengthen your knowledge of what you can accomplish under less than ideal conditions. You gain important critical information about what you can endure.

Agile - The type of exercises / training you list is both familiar to me and good for the "mental conditioning" for will to survive / continue the misson mind set. I would caution that for some folks, this type of punishment / rewards oriented, "in your face" scenario based, "hardening" is not for everyone. A clear understanding between you and your mate is certainly in order. I wish you (in his training) and your mate (in his Atlantic crossing) the best of luck!

Gordy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE