Will this work?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I am planning on rigging up my barbecue in to a birch bark oil distillery. I want to be able to make oil and glue at home without going to the woods and digging holes!

My question is, will it work? I have drawn a little diagram below to show what i am planning to do. In essence i am going to drill a hole in the bottom of the barbecue, and place a biscuit tin above it (also with a hole in the bottom), and build the fire around it.

When the oil is produced it will fall through the holes and in to a container placed on the floor under the barbceue.

When the oil is released from the bark will it be in vapour or liquid form? Will any oil produced just seep through the hole and vanish in to the air, as when burning birch bark in the open?

barkg.jpg

appreciate any feedback. ta

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I'm not sure, but I think you might lose the oil in between containers?

Watched a Ray Mears that happened to be on Dave earlier and he used 2 tins tight together - seemed to work well.

Not sure how critical that is though? do you think your design could be modified to put the tins together?

Dom.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
hmmm, i was thinking of marrying the two tins up as i think the vapour may need to cool a little before turning to a liquid? I might try it and see how it goes and then go back to the drwawing board if it dont work!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE