wilkinson survival knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
hi am karl am new to all this so bear with me dos any one know about wilkinson knfies ive got one and the box n papers have 1986 on but i got it in 94 how many were made ? n when? (it"s used i wished i hadit now but i don"t buy knifes just to look at them! ) could anyone help ta this stie is going to make me an armchair bushcrafter!!! :You_Rock_

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Hi there. I can't help you I'm afraid, but if you don't get an answer here try asking over on British Blades. I'm quite sure someone there would know.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
Andy said:
do you mean the Model D type or the one like the dartmoor?
hi andy it's the one that was in survival aids catalogue for years late 1980s like the dartmoor but with a eye cut out some of them say ray mears help design it n it's in his first book? i don't think he did ? thanks for your reply

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
kb31 said:
hi andy it's the one that was in survival aids catalogue for years late 1980s like the dartmoor but with a eye cut out some of them say ray mears help design it n it's in his first book? i don't think he did ? thanks for your reply

if it looks like this:

wilkinson.jpg

Then it is one of the early wilkinson sword survival knives and yes bizarrely Ray did design it :confused:

on page 15 of the survival handbook by Raymond mears published in 1990 there is a picture of the Wilkinson sword survival knife, beneath the picture it reads

"The wilkinson sword survival knife, designed by the author to combine the ideals of a woodsman's knife with the requirements of an expeditioner."

it is very possible that rays thinking on such a design has changed a great deal since 1990, I work in design and there are a number of things which I designed many years ago which make me cringe now, I think this might be one of those "why did I admit to that :togo: " moments.

its pretty useless as a bushcraft knife, there are two things it is good at though

1. it makes an interesting paper weight/bottle opener

2. it can make you money, as it is quite rare now (just finding the above picture on the internet was tough going) so a collector searching ebay is likely to pay a good fee to own it.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Sorry to take this thread off topic but....

It says in your profile that you do some welding, I trained as a welder and later as a weld inspector and industrial radiographer at Workington, don't suppose you happen to know my old welding instructer do you, Harold Martin is his name, dead nice bloke but looked like the bald bloke who wore the loincloth off the Tango advert :D

The training centre was at Clay flats.

Ring a bell?

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
demographic said:
Sorry to take this thread off topic but....

It says in your profile that you do some welding, I trained as a welder and later as a weld inspector and industrial radiographer at Workington, don't suppose you happen to know my old welding instructer do you, Harold Martin is his name, dead nice bloke but looked like the bald bloke who wore the loincloth off the Tango advert :D

The training centre was at Clay flats.

Ring a bell?
yes it dos! i didit do welding for long after that bnfl work dryed up

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
kb31 said:
yes it dos! i didit do welding for long after that bnfl work dryed up

Small world eh?

Pretty much the same for me as engineering in general slowed down about that time, I had to re-train as a Joiner/carpenter and now am a labour only subcontractor.

Thing is, I think I remember someone there called Karl, bigish lad with dark hair?

I had a mohican at about that time so was fairly distinctive myself :lmao:

Regards Scott.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
Stuart said:
if it looks like this:

wilkinson.jpg

Then it is one of the early wilkinson sword survival knives and yes bizarrely Ray did design it :confused:

on page 15 of the survival handbook by Raymond mears published in 1990 there is a picture of the Wilkinson sword survival knife, beneath the picture it reads

"The wilkinson sword survival knife, designed by the author to combine the ideals of a woodsman's knife with the requirements of an expeditioner."

it is very possible that rays thinking on such a design has changed a great deal since 1990, I work in design and there are a number of things which I designed many years ago which make me cringe now, I think this might be one of those "why did I admit to that :togo: " moments.

its pretty useless as a bushcraft knife, there are two things it is good at though

1. it makes an interesting paper weight/bottle opener

2. it can make you money, as it is quite rare now (just finding the above picture on the internet was tough going) so a collector searching ebay is likely to pay a good fee to own it.
that's the one! i don't know if i sould keep it or not i never use it anymore it's been in it's box ages youre right it's not a knife n it's not a axe i got it after years of look at it i grow up with the crow bar school of survival
knifes rambo n that thanks

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
demographic said:
Small world eh?

Pretty much the same for me as engineering in general slowed down about that time, I had to re-train as a Joiner/carpenter and now am a labour only subcontractor.

Thing is, I think I remember someone there called Karl, bigish lad with dark hair?

I had a mohican at about that time so was fairly distinctive myself :lmao:

Regards Scott.
that's me always off site doing cousal jobs geting paid yts to do 15£ hourjobs still loved it

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Ya know, that knife looks strangely enough like the Tom Brown Tracker. Way back when I first joined these forums, one of my first threads was a post on "The Hunted" movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio del Toro where the Tracker played a prominent role.

Big knives are nifty, and they have a lot of uses. But quite often I think a smaller knife can be just as effective.

Cheers,

Adam

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
addyb said:
Ya know, that knife looks strangely enough like the Tom Brown Tracker. Way back when I first joined these forums, one of my first threads was a post on "The Hunted" movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio del Toro where the Tracker played a prominent role.

Big knives are nifty, and they have a lot of uses. But quite often I think a smaller knife can be just as effective.

Cheers,

Adam
ive seen that flim nice knife made by tops ive had a few "survival knifes" but nothing beats a hand made. mine's a woodlander by ben orford

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I can't afford a handmade fixed blade because all the damn money I make goes right into paying tuition. :p A cheap, durable Frosts Mora is my limit. Wait...did I say cheap? I didn't mean that because they're one heck of a knife.

Adam

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
addyb said:
I can't afford a handmade fixed blade because all the damn money I make goes right into paying tuition. :p A cheap, durable Frosts Mora is my limit. Wait...did I say cheap? I didn't mean that because they're one heck of a knife.

Adam
it's not the knife it's how ya use it

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
i ve used big knives and small ones. depends on what your doing and how used to the knife you are. i've seem some nice carving, with in reason, with large knives and i've seen large heavy work done with small 2 or 3 inch blades.

just depends.

dean

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
abig knife still has it's place i like the look of the tom brown tracker as the first bit looks like a flat bevel have you seen one or handled one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE