Wilderness cabin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Dick Proeneke's, wee cabin does have a lot of appeal to many, especially those that have seen his films. My wife, and I over wintered in a cabin very much like Dick's in the Yukon in the sixties. No matter how much wood we fed the iron stove in that cabin that winter, we still had ice on the walls in the morning....and that included getting up during the night to feed it. Insulated walls are good things, trust me. Aside from the pile of blankets, and quilts on the bed, we had six inches of blue board under the mattress, so, technically I guess we did have insulation. We did have a log wall tunnel to the outhouse, so we did not have to go outside, but the temperature was the same as outside. The privy seat was also blueboard...kept you from freezing to the seat.
Woody

I'd love to spend some time in something like that, few weeks holiday maybe but for extended periods I'd be wanting good insulation like you say.
For me the in the wilderness house is a more practical long term solution.
I'm fascinated by the way Dick Proeneke did his thing and I admire him for following his dream, its just that its not my dream.

Badly insulated homes just make you work a lot harder and I'd rather have the extra time to enjoy the surroundings/do other things.
Plus cutting wood is all very well when you only travel a few hundred yards. Cutting it down you have to eventually go further than that, possibly to the point where a quad is advisable. Then its to get fuel for, spare parts and whatever.
Improving insulation in a home you're in long term means there's less wood to haul, less fuel, less spare parts for the quad.
Or just more fuel spare to take the quad out for long trips.
Besides, a house like inthewilderness has can have a decent workshop and I don't know about you lot but all my carpentry tools (even just the handtools) take up quite a bit of space, plus its nice to keep them dry and away from condensation.
Don't even ask why I might want decent woodworking tools if I was in the middle of nowhere with lots of trees around me...;)
Oh and a timber drying shed might be handy as well.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thread resurrection! Why, you may ask? Because this property happened to pop up the other day while I was surfing the net. I'm very surprised this hasn't sold yet since it's been more than three years after first starting this thread.

http://www.inthewilderness.net/

I know where this is located, and I can assure you, if you want a place without neighbours, this is it.;)
(I do not know the owners, btw)

greenshooots

Nomad
Oct 18, 2007
s.wales
very nice typical canadian lake side property at a very good price, just trying to talk my youngest into doing something similar on a smaller scale in bc

greenshoots

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Hello Forum,
It's been a few years since I passed through and I see the old thread still has a few new posts. Thanks Native Traveller for the web address post. I'm uncertain how many people still remain from years ago when I first popped in to answer some questions so I'll briefly give a synopsis.

My wife and I are the owners of the remote homestead you see at http://www.inthewilderness.net/ There was quite a discussion going on in the forum on our homestead in the bush, and it was only by luck that I ran across the thread while perusing the internet. There was a lot of wild speculation and I was able to answer the various questions posed by the forum. It was a wonderful discourse on our wilderness homestead.

We are as shocked as anybody that the place has not sold yet. Price is not the issue. The issue is access. We could have sold it a dozen times by now if it was road accessible. We have found there are lots of wilderness wannabes who want to drive to their wilderness destination and be close to all amenities at the same time. Nothing wrong with that if that is their "wilderness dream" It appears there are very few destined to live in virgin wilderness.

We are of course still out here in the bush and as Native Traveller has mentioned, there are no neighbors. We generally only see another human when we come out for resupply every 6 months. It is at that time that we pick up mail, take care of resupply, get our few days of civilization, and then head to the bush again.

After 17 years living out here in the bush and being off-grid since about 1980, my wife and I have accumulated a wealth of knowledge and stories. I've written a book titled Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness published by Moon Willow Press which is available on Amazon in both print and ebook. I'll take the reader for a vicarious journey with me as we look back on the last 36 years of an off-grid self-sufficient lifestyle. It is written with humor and plenty of information. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the book.

I'll monitor this thread and take a peek as time permits on other threads. As followers of this earlier thread know, I love answering questions so fire away. I have started a monthly blog post on a few other off grid sites giving readers a sense of our life and what we are up to on a seasonal basis. This blogging is all new to me. I see there is a blog on this site. I would welcome feedback from others on whether anyone would care to have me blog and how to properly use this site's blog. Thanks for reading.
Ron

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"We have found there are lots of wilderness wannabes who want to drive to their wilderness destination and be close to all amenities at the same time."
= NOT wilderness wannabees...

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Thanks Countryman. I really enjoyed the banter on this thread. I have to say I was blown away when I saw how many people had viewed this post. Something past 8,400. That's a lot of eyeballs. If this discussion has helped even one person with a problem or decision, then it was worthwhile.

For what it's worth, some of you may get a kick out of my book's facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/offgridandfree.mypathtothewilderness

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE