Wild Raspberry cultivation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Our raspberry canes seem to be on a two year cycle. New cane growth in the first year and fruit in the second. I'm not sure whether its the species we have or the fact that we seem to have longer winters/shorter summers and so they can't fruit in the same year as they grow.

As to your exact question, give it a go and see what happens. ;)

:confused:

Ogri the trog

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Ditch Monkey said:
Has anyone tried cutting back wild raspberry at the end of the fruit cycle? This is what you do with cultivated raspberries and it encourages a larger harvest next time, I would be interested to learn if it works with wild ones.
You need to bear in mind there are two typical types of raspberry, summer and autumn cropping.

Summer-fruiting raspberries (i.e. wild) behave like blackberries, fruiting on one-year-old canes that are cut out after harvest and then replaced by the young canes. The old fruiting canes, once they have borne the fruit, die back naturally. Cutting the canes just tidies them up in a garden.

Autumn-fruiting varieties, however, are cut to the ground in late winter to make way for new canes that will grow from the base and fruit the same year.

Often in the wild the canes become pretty crowded and some thinning may encourage more decent cropping. You could always transplant some canes in the dormant season to help them spread but only if there are plenty of existing plants.

Don't be tempted to plant garden varieties into wild woods as they will cross breed with the native species. You often find garden escapes though, close to dwellings or ruins.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
if you cultivate them, will they still be wild? dig up some canes in autumn - stick them in an available garden, cut them right back and wait for a year.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
locum76 said:
if you cultivate them, will they still be wild? dig up some canes in autumn - stick them in an available garden, cut them right back and wait for a year.
They will have the same characteristics as they had in the wild. Garden cultivars are selected and bred for specific qualities from the original stock, such as bigger drupes (berries), sweeter flavour etc. It is possible that the wild ones could cross-breed with garden varieties and the subsequent seeds grow into new plants.

I would suggest not cutting back as the next years fruit will be borne on this years new growth. See above. Just cut out the old canes.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
locum76 said:

Yeah - isn't 'wild rasberry cultivation' an oxymoron? :D

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
we planted 1000 tulameen and 100 glen ample this year at the farm... can't wait til next year! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE