Wild Camping in Wyre Forest!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
Hey there guys!

Just out of interest have any of you wildcamped in Wyre Forest just west of Kidderminster, as I've been looking for Natural Deciduous Forest in the Midlands and it's proving very hard to find and when I have found I can't get permission. Anyway I've recently walked through Wyre and its perfect for just relaxing, practising skills and maybe camping, although it is owned by the Forestry Commission, this is where the problem with camping lies.

Anyone have and experience of wild camping here? or who strict they are about it, obviously its not legal but is it tolerated to an extent?

Thanks people :)

Brian

As far as I am aware it is definitely not tolerated and without permission I presume would be classed as trespass!! However if they don't find you lol! Nah mate it's a no no I think!!

Good luck mate as I'm from Brum and the Wyre forest would be perfect for me too!

Kev

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
If you get permission I would love to join you, but suspect unless it were an organised course such as Dave Watson used to do their (the Forestry Commission) response would be no.
Great wood though once you get away from the visitors' centre and marked trails.
Alan

Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
It's even more frustrating that with the forestry commission, there's not even any thought to us asking, it's just a straight no :( where do you go guys? that's if you do go to a regular area, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers :)
Brian

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
There are a few sites around to camp, and use but they are very hard to get permission for. There are also some camp sites around which will allow you to practice some skill but wood fires is the hardest thing to get permission for a hunting and trapping on sites is a strict no no. If you head to the Kniver Edge that is owned by NT and there is a scout camp just off it, but to get permission for anything but scouts or affiliates is next to impossible, I know I have contacts with scouting but as I am no long an leader or assistant within the area and am not there enough as I work away form the area I could not get permission.

Brian, I can recommend Kingsford Country park, Kniver Edge for a bimble, or come along to a Midlands meet such as North Wood (Tamworth) or Rough Close (Coventry)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
Thanks TinkyPete, Ill have a look at those places are they in good walking distance of the forest do you know? I am planning to come along to the North meet :) but I also would like a quiet area to just enjoy to myself aswell as I like to get out allot and would probably go insane waiting for the next meet to come along :) haha

Thanks
Brian

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I know its hard and its something most of us here have had to do. There are a few threads on here about how to go about getting permission .... have a read of those. Land owners can be weary of letting you use the land as they are liable if there is an accident .... and you know how the UK has become the claim culture (if you own a TV). Its a real shame .... we really can't advocate illegal activity here or anywhere really as it can affect peoples hobbies / business.

Ed

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Generally if you ask a landowner in as professional a manner as possible then you should get a positive response. If you turn up unannounced looking like a hippy reject the answer will probably be no.

The question you need to ask yourself is whats in it for them. You have to be able to offer the landowner some benefit for you using their land. All they see is extra stress for no reward. Have a letter of introduction and a basic risk assessment. Plus offer to do some wildlife surveys and perhaps some woodland management and you might be successful.

I pay quite a lot of cash for the right to use the Forest Knights Woodland but I still provide regular bird surveys and clean up the approach paths and look after the area.

I have had my site trashed twice in 12 months by illegal campers. I am not inclined to let anyone camp without me being present these days.

Jan 11, 2009
Worcester
As the Manager of 90 acres of SSSI wyre forest I would be happy to entertain requests from this forum after vetting. PM me if you want contact details.

Stu

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
As the Manager of 90 acres of SSSI wyre forest I would be happy to entertain requests from this forum after vetting. PM me if you want contact details.

Stu

Welcome to the forum Stu.

That's one good way to get noticed for sure :) Can you tell us a bit about what the vetting would consist of?

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands

Stu

Welcome. I would definitely be interested in hearing more about this. I spent many a wet school trip pond dipping in the wyre forest!

Jan 11, 2009
Worcester
Welcome. I would definitely be interested in hearing more about this. I spent many a wet school trip pond dipping in the wyre forest!

Glad you enjoyed it - we have been sorting our ponds out today. New pipe under the tracks might stop the flooding we had this year.

The site is an outdoor education centre so vetting would consist of a new DRB check and a chat with me. Would also be good to chat to our woodsman to also get overview of how we are managing our woods and any bushcrafting activity in it. It is a SSSI so controls on use are pretty strict.

Back at work tomorrow so give me a pm for contact details.

Dancingbear

Jun 5, 2015
Ludlow
Hello stumeese! This thread is obviously a bit dated but I am very keen to wild camp in the wyre forest and would welcome a response to assist me in making this happen!

Please pm me if this is possible

Many thank
Ian

Jamie_Brown

Jan 15, 2023
Birmingham
Hey, did anyone take the opportunity to wild camp at the Wyre forest? I'd love to try it myself. Nothing quite like a bivvy in the depths of a woodland.

Stumeese, are you still willing to entertain requests?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE