Wild camping ban for Loch Lomond islands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timf2009

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Hamburg Germany
I just saw the below story on the Beeb. I remember reading a post from one of the BCUK members who selflessly cleaned up a site he visited that had been left in a less than ideal state (though I don't remember where it was).

Unfortunately the mindless actions of others less respectful of their surroundings have lead to this proposed ban. I can understand the logic to protect the site and the wildlife but I feel it is a deep shame for those people who do respect their surroundings and take responsibility for their own actions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-17511003

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I think it was Toddy or John Fenna who cleaned up a mess left by some one.

I have done the same in the past but I have gave up doing it localy as I seem to be the only god damned person who seems to think that rubish belongs in a damned bin, and yes as a smoker I keep a pocket ash tray in my pocket all the ends go inside that once I have finished. But when the local park has 3 schools, a Morrisons, McDonalds, KFC and shopping centre within a few hundred meters so the mess that park can be in on a school day is ridiculous and a hazzard to dog's and other wild life it's driven me nuts.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I work in a school, yes a minority do leave a mess, a minority. However, If I drive down to McDs just now, I'll see 'adults' dropping litter. I'll see litter outside a football ground etc etc. It's cultural here.

Anyway, I think the Byelaws will go through and camping will be banned on the islands. Any info ??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just trawled through those byelaws and there's no mention of camping on there.

I wonder if Mrs Logan would reply to one last email?

I think there'll be some clues in here but it's taking forever to load ..

5 Lochs Plan

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Its only a matter of time, thats why i was so opposed to the original ban on the east side of the loch, i knew before long the islands would be next then the rest of the lochs in the national park. Although the camping ban is only from March till October because the Scottish Government wouldnt give them it all year round, they just got round that by making it illegal to park on the six mile section of road after Balmaha, and surprise surprise all the official car parks on that side of the loch are now pay and display. Not seen the national park do anything but try to raise money, ban everything and build themselves nice new 3 million pound headquarters with brand new vans and landies every year and lets not forget the stunning idea of culling the wallabies on one of the islands that have been there for over 80 years or so. As you can tell im not a fan of the national park or their activities and as someone who lives beside Loch Lomond their constant bye laws have a profound effect on me and my son, stopping us spending quality time together out camping locally.

Anyway, rant over (for now)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Forget that, it's concerning lochs Venachar, Earn, Lubnaig, Voil & Doine, Achray and Drunkie :)

Interesting proposals though, I wonder if we'll see the same on Lomond, although most of the anti social behaviour is happening at roadside camps, obviously the islands don't really suffer to that extent.

Permitted "wild" campsites, fire pits, litter bins, clear signage, I could cope with that I think

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Forget that, it's concerning lochs Venachar, Earn, Lubnaig, Voil & Doine, Achray and Drunkie :)

Interesting proposals though, I wonder if we'll see the same on Lomond, although most of the anti social behaviour is happening at roadside camps, obviously the islands don't really suffer to that extent.

Permitted "wild" campsites, fire pits, litter bins, clear signage, I could cope with that I think

If its like the permited wild campsite on loch lomond, then its a nice turfed area with a fence round it, you have to pay to camp, pay to park your car, pay for the fire pit and pay for the wood, wonder what their priorities are. I know this doesnt seem like a big deal to people down south that have so many rules and regulations placed upon their activities, but to us Scots this is the thin edge of the wedge, we are used to the Right to roam and wild camp. To me the anti social behaviour angle is just an excuse, if it bothered them that much why dont they educate the young guys about camping responsibly instead of sitting in their offices drinking tea and doing their crosswords, as for the Islands Rich, it will happen mate, they are constantly moaning about the state of the islands during the summer months with all the boating people camping on them, again why not buy so many land rover defenders and have even just one park ranger going round talking to people and educating them.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its only a matter of time, thats why i was so opposed to the original ban on the east side of the loch, i knew before long the islands would be next then the rest of the lochs in the national park. Although the camping ban is only from March till October because the Scottish Government wouldnt give them it all year round, they just got round that by making it illegal to park on the six mile section of road after Balmaha, and surprise surprise all the official car parks on that side of the loch are now pay and display. Not seen the national park do anything but try to raise money, ban everything and build themselves nice new 3 million pound headquarters with brand new vans and landies every year and lets not forget the stunning idea of culling the wallabies on one of the islands that have been there for over 80 years or so. As you can tell im not a fan of the national park or their activities and as someone who lives beside Loch Lomond their constant bye laws have a profound effect on me and my son, stopping us spending quality time together out camping locally.

Anyway, rant over (for now)

That^.

A few people make a mess so everyone else gets their enjoyment curtailed. Personally I find that hard to swallow.
I'm another person who finds the National park to be a double edged sword.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
It's the same where I live on the South Coast, many a time I have been out and about on the South downs and Ashdown Forest further inland and you can see where people have been practicing Bushcraft and have buried old tins and plastic bags badly or they bag it up and put it under a bush which then gets pulled out by wildlife and creates a mess, I have cleared up some these areas several times or more, and to be fair to the Rangers looking after these areas they still let us wild camp, but will restrict us in the future if people don't start respecting the Land, I just wish some people would be more responsible for there actions!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE