Wicker Canoe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
I've been trying to find information on making a canoe with a totally wicker frame, but I have been unable to find anything. There is plenty of information on coracles with wicker frames and birch bark canoes with cedar frames on the interweb, but nothing on wicker. I was thinking it would be ideal with a skin of treated canvas, both light and strong and flexible. Afterall you can get wicker coffins and balloon baskets, why not canoes? Or am I just not looking hard enough:confused:.
I thought if there is anywhere to ask this would be the place.
Cheers
Nigel

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Initial thoughts ran along the lines of: "They went to sea in a sieve, they did,//In a sieve they went to sea" but then I thought why not? I suppose the slight problem might be in the slightly greater flex in your frame material might compromise the canoe's performance and run; but then again, when coated with canvas, as you suggest you might, it could work well. Give it a go - but keep us all informed: this sounds really, really interesting!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Weren't coracles skin over wicker? Couldn't the same construction techniques be used?
Corracles have been made the world over from all soerts of materials (the Corracle Centre is just down the road from me and has corracles from everywhere from Wales to Iraq, Vietnam and even the USA) but on the Teifi the frame is made from split wood (usually hazel) or in one instance alkathene piping!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE