Wicker basket TUTORIAL

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
ive made this tutorial that covers everything you need to know about making a basic wicker basket. Hope you like it and find it helpfull!

http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/basicbasket.htm

IMG_6357.jpg

I do not give bushcraft uk to copy the tutorial over from my website to their articles section

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
As always, inspirational, thanks for this Jon, I can feel some basket making coming on. I wonder if it's much harder to make rectangular ones? The wife's been after a couple of them!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Hi Jon. Good to hear from you. This is a nice basket you made there and using bramble stem is a very good idea. Brambles are plentiful, particularly in my garden!!!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Hey Jojo, good to hear from you too, i havnt really been on bcuk much for a long time.

Thanks for the compliments too

Mick, i havnt yet made a rectangular basket but it should be easy. In the first stages of making the basket all you have to do is make the splits in the 4 stakes longer and then space out the other 4 stakes. To be honest i havnt yet experimented with shapes yet, this is only my second basket...

Many thanks

Jon

ganstey

Settler
Another fantastic tutorial Jon :You_Rock_

Can I just clarify how you prepare the brambles for use;

1. Harvest and strip thorns, leaves, etc.
2. Allow to dry (roughly how long, days, weeks, months?)
3. Soak immediately prior to use.

Have I got this right? Also, roughly how long do you need to soak them before they're ready for use? Or is it a case of "until they feel right"?

Looks like this might ba a good project for the autumn.

Cheers
G

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Another fantastic tutorial Jon :You_Rock_

Can I just clarify how you prepare the brambles for use;

1. Harvest and strip thorns, leaves, etc.
2. Allow to dry (roughly how long, days, weeks, months?)
3. Soak immediately prior to use.

Have I got this right? Also, roughly how long do you need to soak them before they're ready for use? Or is it a case of "until they feel right"?

Looks like this might ba a good project for the autumn.

Cheers
G

2. drying brambles doesnt take that long because they done have a wood centre but they will still take a week or 2. You'll be able to tell when they hasve dried because the bark goes wrinkley. Cut one through after a while with your knife to see how they are drying.

3. to be honest i didnt even soak my brambles before i used them, however they were a little bit stiff to work with at the start. Just soaking them for about a hour would be good i suspect, prior to use.

I had to stop half way through when i made this basket because it got dark outside. I left the brambles on the lawn and the dew made them a little softer by the morning. So maybe thats a good trick you could employ.

Jon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good to see you are still around!
Great tutorial - I will be hunting out some long brambles as soon as it stops raining.....

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
great post, (I can see what i did wrong now:banghead: ), I just been a tour on you website :cool:
........ so talented for a young age , well done.... love your bows :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE