Why should I carry a multitool ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've noticed loads of folk seem to carry a multitool with them for bushy shenanigans, I never bother myself so wondered what I'm missing out on. Considering the gear I carry I don't think I have any need for a pair of pliers or a phillips screwdriver for example, some of the blades and saws are okay but I carry my knife and a laplander anyway.
If I'm out on my bike or perhaps the canoe then I'll definitely have one as there could be a requirement for tightening up a screw or pulling a cable with a set of pliers maybe.
I do carry one all week at work because I'm usually repairing bits of network kit and they're handy to have at hand.

So what's your reason for carrying such a heavy lump of steel whilst out in the boondocks ?

P.S I know there are lighter titanium models about but you still get my drift.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Pliers make for a handy potgrab, and useful for a lot of other tasks e.g. forcing needles through tough materials when making repairs. I suppose you could carry a small pair of needlenose pliers to save weight but do the same job now I think about it...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I don 't carry one Rich.

Same reasons as you i think, just got no need to have it.

I carry a fixed blade and a folder, saw and axe generally though i'm trying a new option. Replacing the axe with a Fallkniven A2. Works well.

I had a multitool, i ended up selling it on here though as it was always superflous to requrements.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
As Matt said, they are great for handling hot pots, pans and grills.
The smaller tools such as scissors, and small flat head screw driver for use as a little drill come in handy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would be lost without mine!
I have used it for all the previosly mentioned tasks plus field dentistry (not on myself - on a Scout:D), opening coconuts, cutting illegal barbed wire fencing (blocking a ROW - repaired with bindertwine from a nearby pile of farmers trash), field blacksmithery (bending hot wire to make hooks), canoe seat repairs, van repairs (crimping a leaking radiator), nail care(filing a broken nail - coarse file first then the diamond hone), knife honing and more...
How do you cope without one?

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I carried mine all the time, to useful not to.

Outdoors for all the reasons already mentioned. I'm an electrical engineer and carry one for work so it's become a habit to always have it on me. I gave mine away to a young guy I met in the woods last week so I'm on the look out for a new leatherman (hence the thread in the swap shop ;))

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
In the wood I've used mine to

Sharpen knives and take nicks out of blades, put edges on needles, smooth edges on numerous metal objects such as fitting on boots that was chafing laces (file and diamond file with on the other side)
shape wood (file, saw, knife blade, awl)
Cut wire to fashion tools and clear barbed wire that has been used to fill stiles. (wire cutters).
Bend and shape tin and wire, lift hot objects, retrieve small items fallen into crack in rocks, sqeeze eyelets and rivets, push and pull large needles through leather and multiple layers of nylon webbing, pull broken zips etc etc (needle nose pliers).
Cut rope and food packaging (serrated knife)
Mend stoves and eye glasses (screw drivers)
made holes in leather (awl)
open tin cans, both for getting at contents and making billies and lanterns.

The list could go on and on but I'm off out while its not raining.

I've had Leathermans (Leathermen?) since about '88 and I wouldn't go on anything more than a stroll without one. When they first came out and before the price of titanium shot up you could get the Ti for £54 in the US, about the same as the Swiss Champ or whatever it's called was in the UK at the time and it's some of the best money (or rather trade goods) I ever spent It weight about 8.5 oz which is hardly a vast amount.

Not everyones cup of tea but if you like repairing and making stuff its well worth having.

ATB

Tom

I use the bottle opener and can opener when camping. I wear mine all the time apart from in bed:lmao: On the odd occaision when I have to wear a suit I don't wear my leatherman and find myself reaching for it all the time. I annoy my mates by systematically fixing things with it when I'm with them, until they need to use it then they shut up. As mentioned earlier mine get used as pot grabs all the time, also useful for extracting tough tent pegs. splinter removal too.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
repaired with bindertwine from a nearby pile of farmers trash),

bindertwine! you're showing your age there. Outside of wales we've all moved on to using balers now. :p

The pliers on a multitool could be used for pin boning fish fillets. :cool:

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
"Bush Tucker" carries one but never uses it. I carry one and hardly ever use but the times I have it's been incredibly useful. There have also been times when I didn't want to carry that heavy lump of metal around with me and I wish I had.

The pliers are great for all kinds of tasks other than what you generally use pliers for; like picking up hot things off the fire, pulling rope tight and grabbing hold of stuff.

You never know when a screw will come loose on something in your kit and need tightening so the screwdrivers are handy.

The knife could be handy if you've forgotten or lost your proper knife.

The file is good for smoothing things down or even for your fingernails if you've damaged them on something.

The scissors are handy for all kinds of small cutting tasks; string, paracord, fingernails, frayed clothing, etc. I find them to be about the most useful tool.

The saw is good for cutting small odds and ends, like wood.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I just cant get the rather frightening image of John Fenna carrying out some field dentistry on a Scout with a multitool out of my mind
I have a Gerber Clutch I carry when out and about

GreyOne

Apr 12, 2009
N Texas
Have carried one since the original Leatherman tool came out. I use it a lot around camp, just for handling hot pots, etc. Also, seem to use it frequently to make some bit or other out of wire- often a tag bit if barbed wire . Fence rows often have a few coils laying about rusting where the excess was never carried back after putting the fence up. It makes great bales for billy cans, and repairs for other kit at times.

In addition, much of my time afield is hunting or fishing, and the tools seem necessary to keep the rods, reels, scopes, sights, etc. all tight and set properly.
In an old style, primitive camp, not as likely to need it, but the habit is there to use it now, so it is usually on belt or in shoulder bag.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just cant get the rather frightening image of John Fenna carrying out some field dentistry on a Scout with a multitool out of my mind
I have a Gerber Clutch I carry when out and about

OK it was a Cub Scout losing his Baby Teeth and on was annoying him as it dangled about almost out....his Mum said "Do it" the Cub Scout said "Do it" so I just grabbed the tooth with the Leatherman pliers and gently tugged.
There was no blood and no pain...on my part...and everyone went away happy!
The Cub Scout is now an 18stone prop forward and a builder - I would not like to think he harbours a grudge!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I think of mine in the same way as a condom.Better to carry it and not need it Than need it and not have it.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
These modern gizmos will never catch on!
Mochyn Sais!

I believe that should be Mochyn Albanwr actually. :)

I said that multitool pliers would be good for pin boning, but on reflection I reckon the wee tweezers on an SAK would be better for that.

If I HAD to carry a wee blade in the city I'd maybe get a multitool too. They are unargueably a tool and not a weapon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE