Why Not Eat Insects?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg1984

Feb 24, 2007
Lockerbie
Hey,
I found this link which leads to a book called why not eat insects? Its pretty interesting and definately worth a look! Think its the whole book. Needs cut and pasted into a word document if you want to print it and for it to look nice.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artinsects1.html

First heard of it from a Hugh Fearnley Whitingstall programme. Let me know what you think of it.

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
I havent read the entire thing but insects are a high source of protein relative to there mass however i think you have to watch out for parasites on the larger ones. cant say ive ever ate one tho :( not intentionally anyway

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
rg1984 said:
Hey,
I found this link which leads to a book called why not eat insects? Its pretty interesting and definately worth a look! Think its the whole book. Needs cut and pasted into a word document if you want to print it and for it to look nice.

First heard of it from a Hugh Fearnley Whitingstall programme. Let me know what you think of it.

If I let you eat my share of insects can I have your sausages, please?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I tried a fried locust at teh wilderness gathering last year. Apart form the chitin (exoskeleton) needing to be spat out, the thing was rather tasty :) tasted of fried, wait for it, chicken :lol: was good though. seriously!

I'm planning on trying wood ant eggs this summer, looks to good to not try IMO.

there's milage in bugs I think ;)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Dave Budd said:
I tried a fried locust at teh wilderness gathering last year. Apart form the chitin (exoskeleton) needing to be spat out, the thing was rather tasty :) tasted of fried, wait for it, chicken :lol: was good though. seriously!)

I ate these most evenings while travelling out in Thailand for a few months, they tasted like less salty pork scratchings to me....I loved them :D :D :D

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
HTML:
I ate these most evenings while travelling out in Thailand for a few months, they tasted like less salty pork scratchings to me....I loved them

I'm sorry but that's just sick. :eek: I saw that Bear guy eating maggots and that just did me in. I don't think I could stomach eating bugs. Not intentionally anyway. :rolleyes:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
actually now you say unsalted scratchings, that's not a bad description.

Once you get your head around what you're eating, it's just food! :) Afterall, how many people these days would think that a beefburger is tasty or appealing if they saw the cow being gutted, sliced up and minced with the blood and 'gore everywhere? :D

doesn't bother me much, so i guess I'll never starve :eek:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Funny how cultural attitudes to food vary, isn't it? Plenty of people who couldn't stomach the thought of eating terrestrial arthropods (insects) are only too happy to tuck into marine arthropods (shrimp, lobster, etc).

I reckon most folk'll eat anything if they're hungry enough. ;)

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
It's got to be a learned taboo.

In the days when kids were allowed to play in the dirt eating worms was commonplace ;)

I was still doing it into my teens because I was a nasty little boy and I knew I could make my sister throw up.

Personally, I thought I'd have a go at anything that stood still long enough until I went to thailand to find people eating the contents of a buffalos stomach.Not the tripe (I actually like tripe) but the liquid part digested grass. I drew the line there.

David

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
if you dont like the idea of eating insects does that mean that you wont eat prawns, shrimp, crab or lobster???

they are essentially aquatic insects and apart from size not much different to the land or air based variety

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
yep down to attitude, and I'm not imune, sometimes I'll try anything sometimes I won't. Probably depends how hungry you are.

I ran a wild foods day a few years ago and one dish I served up was marinated worms (ok, not insects I know) and surprisingly only one person was prepared to try it :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the link BTW,

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
rg1984 said:
Hey,

Thank's for the link rg1984, quite interesting.

I was surprised that he mentions slugs as well, I always thought they were inedible. It always takes me ages to get the mucus of my hands when I accidently touch them so I am curious how they must be handled in the kitchen to avoid everything getting slimey.

Tom

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Dave Budd said:
Afterall, how many people these days would think that a beefburger is tasty or appealing if they saw the cow being gutted, sliced up and minced with the blood and 'gore everywhere? :D

Back up a minute Dave. They make them How! :eek:

No way. :nono:

My mum always told me they grow on burger bushes, and i'll not hear you spreading any more of this malicious gutting nonsense. What would the city kids think :rolleyes:

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
HTML:
if you dont like the idea of eating insects does that mean that you wont eat prawns, shrimp, crab or lobster???

For some reason it doesn't seem to me to be the same thing. Maybe if I boiled locust the same way as I do crawfish. :rolleyes: But, then again............

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
madrussian said:
HTML:

For some reason it doesn't seem to me to be the same thing. Maybe if I boiled locust the same way as I do crawfish. :rolleyes: But, then again............

Try frying up a handful of woodlice, they taste very similar to shrip and I am told are not a million miles away in terms of species......go on.....try it, you know you want too ;) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE