Why guns should not be carried in the wilderness!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
If the report's correct, then it appears there was no (good) reason for shooting it; just a trophy and a chance to be famous.

Very sad.

Tom

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Shorts and cowboy boots, that's a look I'd love to adopt! Ya, made me laugh the way this fella thinks; ' Conrad said the snake didn’t even rattle. It merely lifted its head up above the grass, surveyed the scene and tried to slither away.' So what does Conrad do? Pop a cap in it! Silent face palm...

Biker

My sentiments exactly.

facepalm.jpg

I suppose their justification is that that reptile now won't go on the rampage and attack a small farming village and then have a low budget horror film made about it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What a shame, such a primitive reptile.

Vipers (especially rattlers and pit vipers) are actually very advanced animals pretty new on the evolutionary scale. Eastern diamondbacks grow very large, it's sad that a reptile that has attained that age gets popped for just being there.... and I'd go one further than the expert quoted and say it was at least 35/40 years old.

Sadly though, this is a common occurrence in the States, where a common saying is "the only good snake is a dead snake". Even the Bushcraft USA forum has a prevalence of members who openly admit to this and kill every rattler they see.

Biker

this is a common occurrence in the States, where a common saying is "the only good snake is a dead snake". Even the Bushcraft USA forum has a prevalence of members who openly admit to this and kill every rattler they see.

Bushcraft: Living seamlessly with the environment with mimimum impact on it and the eco system it contains. Sheesh! Maybe they have a different guidebook to the rest of us.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Vipers (especially rattlers and pit vipers) are actually very advanced animals pretty new on the evolutionary scale. Eastern diamondbacks grow very large, it's sad that a reptile that has attained that age gets popped for just being there.... and I'd go one further than the expert quoted and say it was at least 35/40 years old.

I think Humpback's "primitive reptile" remark was referring to the shooter, not the victim.

Biker

Hey Southey you seen your posting number yet? I think a comp's in order ya big blabber mouth!

As for Mr Redneck, I bet he squealed like a girl when he saw it then blasted off 5 shots before the 6th one hit it. Big bwave hunter that he is. Only a .44 magnum which he carries for such situations, ONLY? Dem's big critters over der, bit like a rhino I suppose.

peace---through-superior-firepower---motivational-air-force-poster.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I know many fluffy animal lovers who would have behavied in just the same way.

Not to mention non herping conservationists...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can't agree with the sentiment of "don't carry guns in the wilderness" but can agree with "what a prat" (unless there was a good reason for destroying the snake).

Guns are tools and blaming the tool for the foolish behaviour is the same as saying "ban knives from the wilderness because people might stab someone".

Guns are fine in the wilderness - for hunting and, if necessary in some dangerous areas, for defense (I believe, for example, polar bears can be a problem but a warning shot can be sufficient).

That said, I am also not against killing an animal that is a pest and potentially dangerous to people, domestic livestock, pets or children. This includes reptiles where they are numerous and a problem.

Now clearly, in this case, the guy was at some sort of hunting lodge according to the story and the snake was not a threat and indeed trying to leave - it wasn't in his garden trying to bite his child or pet. So absolutely "Knob" sums him up. But ban guns from the wilderness? The guy was at a hunting lodge - so unless we ban hunting (which I am very opposed to) then no - thats a complete over reaction. Punish the pillock, not law abiding hunters. Nothing wrong with having a hand gun for humane despatch etc. either - some UK hunters still have an exemption for this.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE