Who are these people?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I wouldn't necessarily believe that article. I'm quite sure there are parents who object to kids getting dirty and try to stop them from going out and enjoying themselves, but that paper has a habit of turning a small miss-heard quote and blowing it out of proportion to sell a few loo rolls!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I wouldn't necessarily believe that article. I'm quite sure there are parents who object to kids getting dirty and try to stop them from going out and enjoying themselves, but that paper has a habit of turning a small miss-heard quote and blowing it out of proportion to sell a few loo rolls!

yep. imo its a poor paper. sensationist and a bit to ott for me.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire

I'm surprised they didn't find a way of blaming immigration for the problem...

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As has already been said. You gotta watch out for these newspaper articles. I'm a firm beliver in this theory that they present these "facts" just provoke a knee jerk response and feed on the hype it'll create, as well as make you stay on their website reading even more s**t articles about who's sleeping with who on big brother and follow some of the advertisments.

Of course these mums don't want to get thier precious offspring dirty, it means more work for them cleaning them up in this already top speed lifestlye we seem to be trapped in.

Even leisure time has become a chore, there's just so much to do!

I have to say I love that signature of yours Tobes01, I did laugh at that!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know there's something incredibly pleasing about seeing a filthy, mucky, sticky, kid with a big smile :D

Knowing that a play in a Matey rich bath a wee while later, a tummyful of warm supper, and he'll look like a sleepy cherub in clean jammies, is just part of the whole thing called childhood.

I think Dave's right but I also think that this freeplay outdoors time is something outwith modern social contraints for too many people.
Kids don't have ponds and sandpits in gardens any more; well, they're dangerous, and a cat might use the sandpit as a toilet; aren't they ? :pokenest: they don't get allowed to play with hammers and nails and bits of wood to build dens, 'cos it might fall and hurt them. They aren't allowed to wander and gather wild fruit, probably 'cos Mum wouldn't do anything with it and it's easier to sit them down with a dvd or the telly in their room next to the computer.

I'm getting cynical. I reckon I get muddier than most kids do these days. Not all, thankfully, but there are an awful lot of children who've never even played in a puddle :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It took me Years to break my wife's habit of Not letting 'Little one' spash about in random streams and brooks, or sliding down hills on her harris. Lots of kids were not allowed, as it was either dangerous or required a change of clothes for the trip home. Those kids are now parents and know no better until shown, that mud + kids + a bit of planning and forethought= well ballanced happy kid(s)

no no its all historical Fact :pokenest::D

oops sorry miss typed Hysterical Fact :eek:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Probably the same type of people that buy stick on mud transfers for their chelsea tractors.

Never mind eh?More space for muddy kids!
*says me, sitting here, 34yrs old and MUDDY*:D

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Depressingly, I've heard this kind of thing before. Years ago I ran a Playscheme for one of the local councils in my area and while working closely with Social Services came across a similar story - mothers who would not let their toddler enjoy 'messy play' (which is considered an important feature of normal childhood development) in the home because it might make their clothes or furnishings grubby.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
right im gonna be reallll judgmental now

keep the middle class kids in their "prep schools" and "family farm excursions"

frees up the countryside for the rest of us and we dont have to dodge the Tabithas and Cassandras of the world in their chelsea tractors

could apply the same to the Royal College of the Arts too

and the whole staff of the daily mail

mmmm who else can i add to my hit list :p

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Dave - The Daily Mail isn't any good for loo rolls. The print rubs off too easily. See even the words themselves are too embarassed to be on that paper. <Says with knee firmly in the non-jerk positions>

Mud isn't a danger to kids. In my time playing in the heavily ploughed, heavy clay soil in the field opposite my house it wasn't the mud that hurt but the slap I got from my Dad when I came back without my wellies, socks and trousers and covered in mud. Don't ask, but I was young and the trenches were deeper than I was tall. The mud was deep and very grippy so once you went in it took your boots then the next step the socks and if you really go in deep, well...

Then there was the hay rash in summer when they were harvesting the barley. We used to run in between the combine and tractors doing their stuff. H&S would have a field day with the farm nowadays if any kid did that. We used to play around near the edge of a tidal stretch of a river. That mud was very grippy. Playing in among the supports of concrete yachts. Wonder what would have happened if we knocked them out? We used to climb onto them too.

The good old days. We had boundaries but they were broken like we wern't allowed to go to the shop until we were older but we used to always get caught with sweets that must have been bought there.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Right guys, can anyone explain this concept of `clean` to me?

(But its nothing new, there have always been parents who have objected to mucky kids)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE