Which wood preserve

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am looking for a wood preserver which when applied dries with an oily finish. Not that horrible paint finish which flakes off.

Anyone got any suggestions? It is needed for a shed and wood store so big ish tins...

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
? Any further info? Is it commercially available or a mix yourself job?

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
You can either use boiled linseed oil and it will give you a nice finish but it will make the wood a bit more yellow. Note that boiled linseed oil is usually not food safe because of chemicals to make it dry faster.
If you don't want it to go with a yellow tint then you can use paraffin oil, however it will not give as good finish as linseed oil but it should be safe for food contact.
Last you can mix linseed and paraffin oil together to get a less yellow tone but still a good finish, for this I don't know any to buy product I buy 1L of each and then mix them myself, just remember to mix good them before use.

EXTRA NOTE: Both linseed and paraffin oiled cloth or paper can self-ignite so dispose of them by burning them or store them in water until you can properly dispose of them.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Pro deccy hat on; What wood is the stores made from Pignut? What condition is it in? (weathered and grey or fresh and new or previously coated) Is it in full sun all the time or shaded? Is there any rot? are they worth much money to you?

Makes a huge difference on the recommendation of what to use for maximum value. Coatings usually peel because of an unsuitable/unprepared substrate or excessive service.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
It is new built in "good" quality pine (no pre treatment) partial sun/shade but against a wall so not in full rain. No real monetary value but I want it to last 100,000 years as I only like doing jobs once

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use Danish oil. You don't get that yellow tinged finish and it looks more natural to my eye.

There are massive differences in Danish oil, it's a very unspecific product. Could be anything from thinned varnish to high quality blends of oil and varnish. The lack of UV protection in it makes it below par for exteriors. UV is the biggest killer of coatings.

Osmo UV oil does a similar job but will last much longer.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
50/50 mix, very easy to apply, just slosh on til it stops soaking into the wood, wipe off 'wet' surfaces, leave for a week or two and do it again. Traditionally used on fishing boats, as it not only preserves but can be reapplied without sanding back.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
In that case Pignut, very strongly advise a clear preservative coat first, especially on pine. The new pine will make it worth spending more on the coating to save in the long term.

If you want max service, Jotun spirit based preservative, either clear or tinted, then your choice of any top coat. It's the dogs danglies. A paint will last longest on the top. A good exterior hybrid acrylic paint can see 12 years or more before needing a refresher coat. Jotun makes the best, it's a Norweigian firm. I use it all the time at work.

If you want a natural oily finish, Osmo UV oil.

Just as important as the coating is the prep. Sand any wood if it's been exposed to UV for more than 2 weeks, seal up all cracks, quadruple coat end grain . 99% coverage of coating will see the missing 1% ruin it quicktime. Seal that water out, coat it properly and forget about the job for a long time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE