Which titanium cooking pot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
This may or may not be the best forum for this, but has anyone got any recomendations for a lightweight titanum pot between 700ml - 1ltr? Specificaly for use when lumping my gear up hills. I'm looking for an all in one use pot mainly for boiling water, boil in the bag meals, and pasta. The only ones I know of are alpkit, msr, and evernew, so any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've just bought an MSR Titan Kettle. It's 850 ml, big enough for use as a cooking pot or mug. It has wire handles, though lacks a bail arm - which (so they say) should be easy to improvise with a bit of wire (bicycle, break). I also like the lid, as it's a tight fit it saves the hassle of a stuff sack to prevent stuff falling out.

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
+1 for the msr and snow peak 900 both sturdy pots, and both will take a c250 gas. the lid on the snow peak is loose so you need to use the stuff sack, but you can get the gas, crux stove and folding spork plus a small brew kit. with the msr you only have room for the gas, if you try to pack in a crux the lid does not quite fit

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I have an MSR titan kettle (850ml) as well. It comes across as a sturdy pot and its handy that the lid fits so tightly, but you do need a spoon or something to lever it off if you snap it down while cooking.

In terms of fitting things in the pot, you can get a useful bit of extra space by turning the lid upside down, but then you need an elastic band or something to hold it all together.

The MSR titan kettle seems a reasonable compromise in that depending on what you are cooking on, a wider base tends to be better at catching all the flame, but as the base gets wider, it then becomes less comfortable as a mug. The narrower more mug like pots, in contrast can end up with flames shooting up the sides of the pot, wasting the heat.

Graham

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
i was looking at the msr and snowpeak - and found one identical to the snowpeak but by VARGO - i found it on sale online for about £25 wheras the other 2 were £40 or £50 at the time. Not sure it that price differential still exists, but the pot seems ok - I'm loving it and using it a lot. Only complaint would be that the lid does not sit flat on the bottom of the pot when you put a water bottle into the pot (1L Nalgene fits nicely). This is because the lid has a knob in the middle (some models have a folding D ring). I have considered fitting a bail arm but not done anything yet.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Spend a little bit more than the cost of those mentioned above and get an evernew solo cookset or a snowpeak solo set both are about £50 ish and very similar.You get a pot(750ml) with lid and a cup that fits on the bottom(400ml).I've been using the evernew for a few months now exactly for the things you mentioned and cannot fault it.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Cant really comment on the snow peak stuff but I have always thought it looks good. Got an MSR Kettle which works as well as you could hope for what it is. TO be honest Im sure they all do and would just go with whatever is cheepest!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use a Snow Peak 900 and it's the biz. My BushBuddy fits neatly inside. Doesn't look shiny any more as the BushBuddy has blackened it good and proper.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'm about to order the Alpkit Mytipot to go with a new stove that should be here soon. I've been using the Mytimug for a few years and now I've been quite impressed with it so I'm looking forward to trying the larger size.

Matt

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks for the reccomendations everyone. I'm very temped by the evernew 1L pasta pot. That said, they all look great and I'm sure many of them are made in the same factory.

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
Just a small point i have learned for myself. If you are planning to use a white box meths stove with your titanium pot (as i do), go for the wider type as the white box will burn up the sides of some of the slimmer titanium pots. If your not just ignore everything i just said

regards
max

This may or may not be the best forum for this, but has anyone got any recomendations for a lightweight titanum pot between 700ml - 1ltr? Specificaly for use when lumping my gear up hills. I'm looking for an all in one use pot mainly for boiling water, boil in the bag meals, and pasta. The only ones I know of are alpkit, msr, and evernew, so any other suggestions would be very welcome.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Thanks for the reccomendations everyone. I'm very temped by the evernew 1L pasta pot. That said, they all look great and I'm sure many of them are made in the same factory.

MSR is a bit thicker than evernew and I prefer the MSR kit but they don't do a solo set .My evernew set is a self contained kit with burner and stand that can be used as a wood burner all fitting into the pot with the cup outside.If MSR did the same thing I would buy the MSR kit.I have an MSR mug and am seriously contemplating getting a titan kettle again.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Cheers guys,

Max,

No, Im going to be using a coleman f1 gas stove with it.

Thanks sapper, I've been looking at the MSR too.

Has anyone got any experience with this? http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product399.asp?PageID=100

I have used some tibetian kit(not that particular pot) and found it good but not as good as MSR or evernew.Then again it did the same thing but didn't feel the same quality as reflected in the price.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I decided to go with the MSR titan kettle. The evernew pasta pot would have been my first choice but due to the unfortunate happenings in Japan,I think the production has been affected. The MSR is light, a good shape, and is apparently strong.

It should be with me tommorrow along with a load of other titanium goodies. I'll be doing reviews on my blog if anyone is interested. Thanks again for all the detailed answers, they were a big help in deciding.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE