Which Small Keychain Torch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yungmannfuzz

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2011
NI
Must say my AA maglite is bomb proof, but not bright enough, and batteries seem to fade quickly.

No small Lenser users?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I had a pair of P3s. They were ok but i sold them on and put a little to it to get the quantum dd. Lets be honest you are not likely to need a huge amount of light on a keyring torch but its always fun to have the lumens. Pretty much anything small and light will do the job for you. it just comes down to taste and budget. most of the stuff listed above will more than get the job done but the maglite does suffer with burning batteries and has less lumens than most. I like the look of that K1L above too. nice and compact

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
thats a fair point, no probs with that. Ive got one with an led bulb and it works for me but thats my opinion. I just feel that sometimes there are ways of speaking to people, you've come across A1 but that other fella clearly has an attitude problem and theres just no need for it. We are all individuals and we all have our own views and opinions but there are some people who don't understand that or respect other peoples views. Courtesy is the lubricating oil in the machinery of human relasionships.

See above comment, how do I "clearly" have an attitude problem? it's a few words on the Internet!! I'm happy your mag works for you but at no point did I tell you that you personally were wrong or anything.

Just because you feel that there are ways of speaking to people doesn't automatically make you the ruling authority on the matter. I don't feel I was overly inappropriate, it was intended as a light bit if ribbing if anything but its not my fault you've misinterpreted it as a go at you personally.

To the op, apologies for the slight derail but there are some excellent suggestions here for less than £15 which will serve you very well indeed.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
See above comment, how do I "clearly" have an attitude problem? it's a few words on the Internet!! I'm happy your mag works for you but at no point did I tell you that you personally were wrong or anything.

Just because you feel that there are ways of speaking to people doesn't automatically make you the ruling authority on the matter. I don't feel I was overly inappropriate, it was intended as a light bit if ribbing if anything but its not my fault you've misinterpreted it as a go at you personally.

To the op, apologies for the slight derail but there are some excellent suggestions here for less than £15 which will serve you very well indeed.
Proves my point.....yawn, wheres the coffee

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Proves my point.....yawn, wheres the coffee

I thought your post was ott bud.
You seem to have read Dustys post and took offence where none was intended then ran with it in a second post, then a third.

Sometimes online its hard to write and read between the lines and things can be taken the wrong way. If you always assume the negative and take it as such you will forever have your back up when its really not necessary.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
You seem to have read Dustys post and took offence where none was intended then ran with it in a second post, then a third.

Sometimes online its hard to write and read between the lines and things can be taken the wrong way. If you always assume the negative and take it as such you will forever have your back up when its really not necessary.
Maybe your right, maybe I jumped down his throat a bit too quickly. I'm just getting a bit p....d off at some of the sarcastic remarks and nasty stabs because someone doesn't agree with someone else opinion, as I said, we are all individuals and we all have our own views, we might not agree with everyones elses views but that doesnt make it right, or give anyone an invitation to have a stab.
If im out of order, I apologise to Dusty but at the same time I wont accept being spoken to in such a manner that offends....that goes for me as well.

Now, can we leave this here, or take it somewhere else as its not fair on OP

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Come on guys,lets chill!! yungmannfuzz only wants some advice on a small keychain torch.........:D

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland

This is entirely correct.

Maybe your right, maybe I jumped down his throat a bit too quickly. I'm just getting a bit p....d off at some of the sarcastic remarks and nasty stabs because someone doesn't agree with someone else opinion, as I said, we are all individuals and we all have our own views, we might not agree with everyones elses views but that doesnt make it right, or give anyone an invitation to have a stab.
If im out of order, I apologise to Dusty but at the same time I wont accept being spoken to in such a manner that offends....that goes for me as well.

Now, can we leave this here, or take it somewhere else as its not fair on OP

Why would I have any reason to try to pick a bone with you? It was a bit of light hearted banter, no offence intended but how you interpret it I have no control over.

Come on guys,lets chill!! yungmannfuzz only wants some advice on a small keychain torch.........:D

This.

Good luck on the quest!!!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I have several Maglite Solitaires and have compared them directly to other AAA torches i cab say with absolutely no doubt the Maglite is useless.

The comment may have been said in jest, but i'd bet £20 a decent match is actually brighter.

It does get better with one of the LED upgrades, but still the beam pattern and tint is terrible and it's still not as bright as say a Fenix LD01.

IMG_8687.jpg

The LD01 is slighty bigger but gives a decent amount of useful output that will enable you to find dropped money etc.
The Solitaires output is pretty much useless if your standing and aiming at the ground.

I would be cautious of any torch related advise from anyone that would recommend a Maglite Solitaire as i believe it's a fair judgement to say they do not have sufficient experience in various other torches to warrant a experienced and sound opinion.

As support for my opinion i offer this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUKL_8oeljg

That is compared against a Fenix E01, a 13 lumen light that itself struggles against more modern equivalents like the 72 lumen LD01.

Cheers
Mark

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
One word of caution about spending a few quid one something that's pretty small and carried every day. If you lose it you will cry.
I bought a lovely Fenix jobby and managed to miss-place it on a recent trip :(
Quality wise i didn't see a lot of difference between the Fenix and some of the new cheaper CREE LED types.
I did get along with the little button light that BCUK kindly sent me until a poor little lad needed cheering up and its all I had on me at the time. :(

I now carry one of the Tesco Cree 2XAA lamps which was cheap as chips so i dont mind if I lose it. Its not a keys carry but fits nice in a pocket and certainly throws out some light.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Good advice Dwardo.

It's also worth looking at the torch design if it's likely to be on a keychain as i have had torches that have the keychain attachment right on the end of torch where the battery is removed.

Result = 1 missing torch and battery and the last 1cm of the threaded end cap still on my keychain :lmao:

On the 2 torches i recommended you can see in the pic that the keychain attachment point is extremely secure

IMG_1720.jpg

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I would advocate the E01 to anyone.

Yes, it's not got the lumens output, yes it's got a terrible tint and beam shape but I can tell you now they don't come more bulletproof, 10 hours life of very useable light from a single aaa battery and a further 10 hours of moonlight mode which is still useable in pitch dark.

For a last ditch emergency backup light chuck in a lithium battery and leave it on your keys, I fully intend to buy a couple more for my bag because when mine finally dies or gets lost I will weep..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE