which saw?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Unless your hiking then a bog standard bow saw is hard to beat.

I find a bow saw too big and bulky for small stuff around camp. Far easier to use a pruning saw on small limbs of dead standing or fallen. I can't remember the last time I needed to use my buck saw while out n about.

I did, however, find chisellers silky far better than the bow.

When helping out in my local woodland then I'd only really use the bow saw, with the pruning saw as a backup.

touched by nature

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I like my laplander as it fits in my pocket when out and about but I actually tend to use my bahco 244 handsaw alot as I always have one in my work van and I know its not designed for cutting green wood but I have feled small trees with it that would be much to big for my laplander and it is a very good all round saw for £9

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Iv got a saw from pound land about 2years ago and it's still going strong today, Iv not seen them since and if I do I will buy more of them. Iv had a cutting race with the Laplander vs my pound shop saw and the pound shop saw kicked butt. I have also picked up 2x from lidl for £2.99 and perform really well.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have been using a bow saw a lot lately and it just glides through wood. New blade costs nawt so easy to maintain a nice sharp edge ;)
Laplander for playing in the woods due to weight and size but I am now thinking a bow-saw is so much easier and faster.

DaveBoon

Nov 23, 2012
Cheltenham
Fairly new to Bushcraft, but got myself a Laplander and love it! Inexpensive, great size for carrying, cuts really well, and safe if there's kids about as it folds away. For general cutting of small branches & logs, I've found it ideal.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have a bunch of laplanders about and one normally in the glove box of my van. I would think it a perfect saw to carry if that's your thing. I also have silky big boy which is great, they cut like a hot knife through butter when new but do slow down with time and I have not tried resharpening yet. Bow saws are great and the standard tool in woodland conservation work, cheap and efficient for green wood. No one yet has mentioned hard point saws, my mate Barn the Spoon caries one when he is traveling and living in the woods, slips down the back of his rucksack, light, cheap and cut fast. For green wood get one with big teeth.

peatbog

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2008
paisley, Scotland
When I'm canoeing I carry a laplander all the time, for an overnighter I also have a folding bucksaw. I use a firebox for cooking all the time and a bucksaw makes short work of fuel collecting.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
21" Bahco triangular bow saw is my favorite. I find it much more stable than the D-shaped 24" saws and much safer than a Silky. Silkys are great but if you frequent the arborist forums you'll know how dangerous they can be.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Wow thanks guys!! Think going to definitely look at getting a folding buck saw maybe even make my own but have a feeling that might just get added to the diy list!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE